Diesel Alfa next car?

Started by David Sharpe, October 22, 2006, 02:46:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Sharpe

My wife wants me to find another car for here. Our 1983 BMW 323i E30 owned since new is now used by our son (he said he needed a car!) My brief is as follows" ...........it must be powerful but economical....." This has led me to the AROCOA. I seek comments from owners of 147s & 159s with the Diesel engines. I have a Peugeot 406 hdi myself (Melbourne to Sydney and back 1950ks on 95 litres) and so know other marque's Diesels. The pug is a reliable car but a bit boring.

Evan Bottcher

*bump* Anyone able to help David?  I've only been a passenger in a new 159 2.4JTD a few weeks back but it was damn impressive.  So much torque so acceleration is impressive even at low rpms in 6th gear.  The fit and finish on the car were also very good and what impressed me compared to the 156 was the solid feel and low levels of noise.  Apart from the genuinely sporty sounding rumble from the engine up front, that is.  I think it's definitely the car to have out of the new 159 lineup - not that much more expensive than the 2.2L petrol but I think it will be much more rewarding to drive.

Anybody care to comment?
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

alfagtv58

Dont forget the JTD is just shy of 20 large cheaper than the V6 (body by Italy, soul by.....fishermans bend).  I too will be in the market for a new car soon and this will be on the test drive list.
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

Joe Garra

Just picked up my wife's new 159 wagon last week. Very happy so far. Didn't go for the diesel because we only do 12,000 k per year and it would take too long in fuel savings to justify the higher price.
PS I'm still driving my black 164Q with only 110,000 k on the clock.
Now: 164Q
        Giulietta QV
Before : 75
            33 16V
            Sud Ti
            99 Spider
            156 Wagon
            159 Wagon

David Sharpe

On my advice she got a 147 diesel, an ex demo model 1 year old. Im not allowed to drive it & intend to get a spider for myself er long

Mark Charles Fletcher

I bought a 147 Diesel for my wife... she came out of an Audi A4 and it kilds it in every way... except size... and the diesel rattle at Idle.

Fab lil car... would love Brera... but an engine from Holden???? ::)

Victor Lee

Another comment that it is a Holden engine!  ???

I suppose I've got a vested interest in this as we just picked up our 159 3.2ltV6!  And like the philosphical right-to-life discussions about when does life begin; then where does this 3.2v6 engine stop being a "Holden" engine and becomes an "Alfa" engine?

From my understanding, its just the bottom half that is made at Fishermen's Bend.  Everything else on top is pure Alfa.....the direct fuel injection system, 4 valves per cylinder, the JTS system.  I would like to see a Holden 3.2lt production engine put out 191kW!

Have a read of some of these articles and you decide if its an Alfa engine or a Holden engine!

http://www.italiaspeed.com/new_models/2005/alfa_romeo/alfa_159/engines.html

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=18858&vf=1

Cheers

Victor
Current Alfas:  Alfa 159 3.2lt Q4; Alfetta GTV6; ES30 SZ (all V6s!);  2015 4C LE.
Past Alfas:      '02 156 2.0lt JTS; '84 Alfetta GTV6; '82 Alfetta GTV 2.0; '85 Alfa 33 1.5 GCL single carb

Southern75

Holden did rely on alfa engineering for the commodore to make it a 'halfway' decent car. Who cares if the engine is made at fisherman's bend the soul is still italian ... heck most alfas are screwed together in thailand

It just like an Australia born italians ... they still know how to make great pasta and pizzas
Rust, nah that's not rust .... its iron oxide!!!

Alfas:
1977 Alfasud ti (race)
1980 Alfasud ti (race)
1987 75 V6 (toy)
2008 147 JDTM (sensible?)