156 jts motor

Started by Donald B, April 30, 2009, 10:06:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donald B

Have any members suffered an engine failure in their i56 jts caused by "running on low oil" This is what my local dealer has said is the cause of my 5/06 156's problem @ 27,000 Km and is therefore not covered by warranty even tho' I have costantly topped up this oil burning engine.Their other excuse is that I was a few months late with my 2nd service!

Davidm1600

Hi Donald. Oh mate can definitely feel for you and your wallet, let alone your 156. Before buying my '03 Sportwagon I too was told to be extremely careful about always making sure that the oil level was kept topped up. Apparently it is more critical on the JTS engine than the Twin Spark due to the variable valve timing.  That is what I was told.   I have mostly been diligent on this albeit I did let it get a little low on one time and was told so by the car.  I immediately filled it back up and luckily no damage to my engine, it still runs perfectly. Just recently had it serviced and all is good.

I think the reaction you got to your problem is pretty low, especially given the low Kms on your car and that though you have kept the oil level up correctly.  If it were me I would be more than unhappy with the response received and look at trying to take some sort of further action, though it might be difficult to prove that you were not responsible.  Did you buy your car from an Alfa Dealer and if so is it them saying they won't do the right thing by you ??  Perhaps you should get in touch with Alfa Australia (Ateco) and see if there is any potential for assistance on the cost of repairs.   Goodluck and hope you get this sorted.  Dave
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina