156 JTS performance modification

Started by DDALFA, April 29, 2009, 03:48:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DDALFA

Has anyone had performance modification done on 156 JTS engine (Turbocharger or supercharger)? Any suggestions or tips? also any info on suppliers for body kits (spoilers etc)

John Hanslow

I Know that Marenallo Pur-Sang were involved in a AutoDelta style 156 upgrade few months back and that Monza Motors are suppliers of impoted body kits etc. 

Check out the sponsors page contact details and give them a call for specific details.

Cheers.
Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

Davidm1600

But they are more expensive, to purchase, repair and run.  Can imagine that a GTA won't get the same fuel efficiency that a JTS will. Also depends on ones needs and size of ones bank account. 
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: Davidm1750 on April 29, 2009, 06:49:46 PM
But they are more expensive, to purchase, repair and run.  Can imagine that a GTA won't get the same fuel efficiency that a JTS will. Also depends on ones needs and size of ones bank account. 

True, I just wonder how much more fuel efficient and reliable a turbo or supercharged JTS would be over a GTA, let alone the cost of such a conversion.  Assuming it's more powerful and sounds better....

GTA comes with a free bodykit too.

branko.gt

Quote from: Sheldon Mcintosh on April 29, 2009, 10:56:19 PM
GTA comes with a free bodykit too.
wel, if the bodykit is free then the suspension upgrades are free as well.
not to mention the free upgraded brakes, which you will need if you significantly upgrade power in your JTS.
now you see why GTA is so good, lots of free stuff  :P

Stuart Thomson

Quote from: Davidm1750 on April 29, 2009, 06:49:46 PM

Dunno about that Dave, what do you get around town in the JTS?  Haven't had any actuator problems with my left foot and arm.  I do go through tyres at an alarming rate though.

Although I have to go to the Doc's every now and then to get the silly grin wiped from my face ;-)

Buy the GTA, you know you want it!

Cheers
Stuart

Davidm1600

Wow all that free stuff on a GTA who would have thought ?? ;D  I suppose in a sense that might be so now as a 2nd hand proposition but not when they were new, didn't they cost close to a $100K !!  I must admit, they certainly are a good proposition now that they have reached the levels of affordability, and personally I would prefer the V6 and all that free stuff over an uprated and turboed JTS.  But again each to their own.

Stuart, well according to the books it seems pretty reasonable to me for either city and/or country mode. I would need to check the books to quote actual factory figures.   I havn't ever bothered to check the consumption rate out properly but from experience I know it seems very economical to me.  I recall driving home off the ferry at Devonport back to Hobart, which is about 300km or more.  I filled it totally up at Devonport and it had only just moved off full by the time I got home.  So that seemed pretty good to me.  I wonder if I could do that with a GTA ??  Mind you with that loud pedal I somehow doubt it, as how could I resist giving it a bit of stick, simply to hear the music of that engine.  Dave
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Sheldon McIntosh

According to Red Book, there's only about $5-$7k difference between a JTS and a GTA.  You'd spend considerably more than that to get a JTS performing as well, let alone looking as good.

Regarding fuel consumption, I'm sure if both were driven as hard as each other, no doubt the GTA would use more fuel.  But it reminds me of when Top Gear ran the Prius and the M3 around the track at the same speed (the Prius' top speed!).  The M3 used far less fuel.  I imagine you can make pretty rapid progress in a GTA without stressing it too much. 

Evan Bottcher

Would a 156 with a turbo or supercharger still use less fuel than a GTA at full noise?
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

DDALFA

thanks john ! i shall enquire about the upgrade!

branko.gt

Quote from: John Hanslow on April 29, 2009, 05:16:19 PM
I Know that Marenallo Pur-Sang were involved in a AutoDelta style 156 upgrade few months back and that Monza Motors are suppliers of impoted body kits etc. 

Check out the sponsors page contact details and give them a call for specific details.

Cheers.

I think that the work that Maranello Pur-sang did and that John is referring to, was capacity increase from 3.2L to a 3.7L for a 156GTA.