1999 Twin Spark; How Much?

Started by Scarlan, April 17, 2009, 08:34:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scarlan

My Twin Spark 156 is turning 10 next month, and although it hasn't given me one problem in this period of time, I am beginning to think it may be time to try something new.
My car has the standard manual gearbox, and was purchased with every option available when the car came out.
i.e. Full leather interior, Factory sunroof, 17 inch factory alloys, lowered / stiffened suspension, and of course the full body kit including the large rear spoiler.
If anyone recalls the first Melbourne Motor Show where the 156 was displayed, it has all the bells and whistles this car had.
The car has been serviced since new by Lance Dixon, and has travelled a mere 72,000km.
It had a minor service just last month, had new tyres fitted only six months ago, and I am about to pay for another year's registration which will take it through to May 2010.
The car is garaged for the majority of the time.
Overall the condition is excellent; some Melbourne drivers may recognise it from the odd car show etc (Rego is TS156).
I know the trade in value doesn't reflect the worth of this car, so as it has not caused me any problems whatsoever I do not want to give it away.
So the question is; what is a fair and reasonable price to ask as a private seller?
Would love your comments from those in the know.
Thanks.
Current:
07 159 Q4 3.2JTS
Previously:
99 156 Twin Spark
91 33S Permanent 4
86 33Ti

dehne

i will give you 8000 for it next week
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

Apha25

Hi mate

a) what colour?
b) do you have any photos?

I'm in Perth, but I've been looking for a fair while and definitely consider going through the rigamorole of shipping one over from over east.

Scarlan

Hi There,
It is red with black leather interior.
I don't have any photos at the moment, but I could easily get some for you.
If you send me your email address I will try to get you some shots ASAP.
Current:
07 159 Q4 3.2JTS
Previously:
99 156 Twin Spark
91 33S Permanent 4
86 33Ti

dehne

now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

Scarlan

Significantly more than what you offered, i.e. more than $8k.
The purpose of my post was to gain some idea of what would be fair and reasonable rather than listing the car for sale.
If I knew what I wanted for it I would list the car for sale; but I am not quite at that stage just yet.
I would think somehwere around the $15k+ mark would not be unreasonable, but I may be dreaming!
Current:
07 159 Q4 3.2JTS
Previously:
99 156 Twin Spark
91 33S Permanent 4
86 33Ti

Gary Pearce

Not wanting to sound like Darryl Kerrigan, I can tell you that the used car motor trade is on it's knees and the value offered by Dehne is not unreasonable. There is a lot of similar vehicles around for sale at present. 10 years old is not insignificant.
A quick look at 'Redbook.com' indicates a sale price of $6400-$8100 and in fact the trade-in price for such a vehicle is $3800-$5500 I hope this helps the purpose of your post.
1966 Giulia GTC
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce
1974 Metalic Green Montreal
1966 Giulia Super Blue
1980 Mazda B1800
1989 MX5
2013 MB C250 Coupe

Joe Garra

What would you replace it with? I'd advise keeping it. I'm in the same boat with my 164Q - it's worth much more to me than what it's worth (if that makes sense), so I'm hanging onto it.
Now: 164Q
        Giulietta QV
Before : 75
            33 16V
            Sud Ti
            99 Spider
            156 Wagon
            159 Wagon

Scarlan

Joe,
I agree 100%.
If the suggested value from the Red Book is right I wouldn't get anything better at that sort of price (not that I would be spending that little).
Looks like I will probably keep it another 10 years.
Amazing a car that looks as good as the day it was collected, and drives just as well, can be considered to be worth so little.
Thats cars for you.
"Tell him he's dreaming".
Current:
07 159 Q4 3.2JTS
Previously:
99 156 Twin Spark
91 33S Permanent 4
86 33Ti

dmalfa75

Sounds like it should be a keeper, if you are just looking to sell it 'just cause,' then with the market the way it is you are not really going to get the money you think it is worth.  That doesn't really help you with trying to find a value for the car, but I have usually found that redbook is pretty much what the market works on. I am not real savy in the car market but unless it is super unique then redbook is probibly the best guide for car values.
Alfa 75 race car
Dunnydore road car

Evan Bottcher

Scarlan you took that quite well!  When I realised how little my 2000 156 is worth I curled up in ball and cried like a baby.  Well done.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Scarlan

Evan,
The funny thing there is absolutely nothing wrong with the car, but after twn years I figure it would be nice to try something different.
I drove a 2.4 Lt diesel 159 and was very impressed, but then I drove a 3.2 Q4 159 and was even further impressed.
Having owned a 33 Permamnent 4 in the past it reminded me of this only on steroids.
Oh well, I may as well hold onto my current car and see what happens.
No tears, but the porr resale value is unfortunatley a fact of life in the current market and probably worse with Alfa Romeos.
The early woes associated with the 156 selespeeds probably hasn't helped much.
Thank you everyone for your comments.
Current:
07 159 Q4 3.2JTS
Previously:
99 156 Twin Spark
91 33S Permanent 4
86 33Ti

Gary Pearce

If you really are keen on one of the new models that you mentioned, then as a trade-in, IS where you will be more likely to get your money. New Alfa Sales are slow too.......so from that point it should be a buyers market.
1966 Giulia GTC
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce
1974 Metalic Green Montreal
1966 Giulia Super Blue
1980 Mazda B1800
1989 MX5
2013 MB C250 Coupe

Davidm1600

I know what you mean Evan, I bought a 1 owner from new '03 156 JTS Sportwagon with 89,500 on the clock, in top condition in November 2007.  I paid $20K for it.   Out of curiosity I tried a couple of months ago to sell it, not that I really wish to or need to but just in case I could get a reasonable price for it.  I tried one dealer to see what I would get for a trade in.  He offered $9K, used ones in similar condition and kms on the clock (mine now has 98,000km) were going for between $16,500-19,000 depending on where you were looking (ebay carsales etc.).

I knew this would happen, the dilema of modern car ownership.  I am not sure whether to simply keep it enjoy and accept the loss or to try a little harder to sell and cut my losses before its value is 1/2 or less than what I paid for it.  Like Scarlan's mine too has been totally reliable with the only cost to me so far 1 service at a cost of $200, plus normals rego/insurance and fuel.   Dave
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

avim

Quote from: Davidm1750 on April 28, 2009, 11:27:48 AM

I knew this would happen, the dilema of modern car ownership.  I am not sure whether to simply keep it enjoy and accept the loss or to try a little harder to sell and cut my losses before its value is 1/2 or less than what I paid for it.  Like Scarlan's mine too has been totally reliable with the only cost to me so far 1 service at a cost of $200, plus normals rego/insurance and fuel.   Dave

If the car has been completely reliable and you have no need for a new one then why sell it? Sounds to me that you're living the dream of many 156 Selespeed owners  :)