Alfa 90 query

Started by DiVaN, April 16, 2009, 04:26:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DiVaN

hey everyone,

I'm new to the alfa scene - im interested in getting an Alfa 90 - now i have read extensively about the mechanical woe's of the model and the electrical gremlins that haunt the digital dash... my main concern is rust - no reviews or forums (thus far) have really made mention whether this model is prone to rust like most other older alfa's. I have heard that from 1986 on rust isnt so much an issue due to a change from using russian steel...

would anyone be able to enlighten me on this issue - im startingt to get the alfa fever now..  :o

Thanks in advance!
Rob  ;D

dehne

Hi there i believe i can qualify in giving advise on this subject, rust is not much of an issue in the 90 but places to check is the b pillar in between the front and rear door, and the bottom of the front guards thats about it. there are plenty out there you just need to find one you will pay up to $2500. they are around cheaper ive never payed more than $500 for one and ive had a few
i knowof a couple for sale if ur interested hope that helps
where are you located
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

MD

Rob, rust hasn't been a material issue for cars imported from around 1982 onwards. There is a carry over of rusting for cars prior to this time and to varying degrees but it shouldn't be an issue for the 90.

If you have your heart set on a 90, by all means. However you may consider the 75 alternative as under the skin they are essentially the same car. The benefit of the 75 over the 90 is a larger production and hence the availability of parts and especially body, trim and the like. This may become an issue over time.

I also think the 75 enjoys? a slighty better resale value however at the end of the day, you gotta be happy with what you like.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

DiVaN

Thanks for the reply guys  - i have a mate who is an Alfa 75 fanatic, he owns the twinspark model - they are great cars!

Im open to either models...

MD-
i agree with you MD that its a smarter option to go with the 75 as the parts (body wise) are more available than the 90 ... I guess it'll come down to finding a decent one in reasonable condition

dehne - im located in the Kew area

DiVaN

dehne -
also, if you do know any clean 90s for sale let me know!

thanks!

dehne

there is a grey one on ebay atthe moment seems to be in goodnick for the price itsagood buy as a alfa90 fanatic of course ive bid on it but i dont really need it im, getting abuy it now price but ive already hit his reserve let me know i will go to qld and pick up for you aswell for cost for air and fuel but other wise i will buy. there is a blue 90 where i live that might be for sale soon ifi can get them a manual 156 looking at one at the moment give us a call on 0418711643 if you want anymore info
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
Past

JOHN G

dehne did you buy the grey one?

There is a silver one for sale on ebay  from Caroline Springs a Sandro is selling do you know this car or the seller?
It looks good from the pics I will bid on this one if I can find out the history on the car.

All info appreciated
Thanks
John

Present
ALFA 75 3.0
BMW X5 M

Past
Alfa  75 3.0 qv Potenziata (Black) Concours
Alfa GTV6 GP 3.0
Alfa GTV6 GP 2.5 Concours
Alfa GTV6 SA 3.3 AHMotorsport 250Hp ATW (Grey)
Alfa GTV6 3.0 (Black)

dehne

SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD CAR THE SILVER ONE CALL HIM THE OTHER DAY ITS WORTH A LOOK I MISSED OUT BY $10 ON THE GREY
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
Past

Dna Dave

John,

I reckon the next car you should buy, should be orange  ;D

Dave
1980 Alfa gtv racecar, 2.0L twinspark turbo
1991 Alfa 75 Potenziata
2009 Alfa Mito VRA Racecar
1974 Alfetta sedan
2003 Mitsubishi Evo3 RS
2008 Alfa GT 3.2L
2007 Mazerati MC Victory

Past,

Not that many 😜

dehne

there is a 90 forsale inthis forum icall him the other day hes looking for $1300 but is neg im looking for a parts car and this is to good to wreck luckly he also has a parts car so i think i will buy thatone
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
Past

JOHN G

Hey Dave

I pulled another contract back in the building game!!!

So anything is possible. ;)

I buy a lotto ticket every week hoping to buy your Orange Beast.

John.
Present
ALFA 75 3.0
BMW X5 M

Past
Alfa  75 3.0 qv Potenziata (Black) Concours
Alfa GTV6 GP 3.0
Alfa GTV6 GP 2.5 Concours
Alfa GTV6 SA 3.3 AHMotorsport 250Hp ATW (Grey)
Alfa GTV6 3.0 (Black)