147 JTD Fuel Economy and my 159 loan car.

Started by mikz, March 04, 2009, 01:51:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikz

Just a note, I did a trip up to Brisbane recently (straight after a service) and set the trip from Nerang and terminated it just out of Brisbane. I stayed around 90 - 100Km/hr, looked ahead at the traffic and tried to make sure I was not forced to slow down unexpectedly which would then of course mean I would have to accelerate back up to speed. I attained a very reasonable 4.4l/100km which even surprised me. At 30,000Km on the clock I am finding this diesel is settling down and has become both quieter and more fuel efficient.
Just thought potential buyers might be interested ... oh and by the way, I had the loan of a new 159 2.4l diesel 4 door for a week as mine had some airconditioning issues and found it very hard to reach anything that could be considered fuel efficient. (I hear you say ... why should an Alfa be driven for fuel efficiency!) I realise it is a bit like apples and oranges but the feel of the 159 (stunning looks by the way) was heavy although nicely worked out suspension and handled corners very well. But it really didn't feel Alfa-ish sitting behind the wheel. The 2.4 Diesel was willing but noisy and laggy putting power on the road. With the foot down it certainly had some pickup but so did the fuel use. Sorry guys but it sort of felt like driving a Commodore ... I won't be winning any friends with that comment !
My conclusion, I'll stick to the 147 thanks .. getting it back was like putting on a familiar leather glove ... almost comforting  :)  ...  light, quick handling and fast to accelerate when required ... isn't that what Alfa is all about ?
159 owners please post hate mail here ....  I_dont_care@hatemail.com