How to remove heater/radio centre console on a 90?

Started by Dishy, December 19, 2023, 07:54:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dishy

Hi All,
     As the title says how do I remove the centre console heater controls and radio in a 90. As you can see in the photo I have the radio out, heater vents out, top of the dash out and the arm rest above the handbreak out. But the centre console and the heater won't move. The three screws on either side of the dash section that holds the heater controls are out and that dash section is loose, but I can't get it out.

Any help or ideas would be great.

Dishy20231219_191903.jpg

GTV-074

Hi Dishy ...not exactly for a 90 (these are for a 75) but i am sure they are similar.

They may be of some use, might give some small clue ....

I could send relevant bits of the 75 workshop manual if it's of any use.

Cheers,

Paul.
Speed costs money - how fast do you want to go?

bteoh

Could it be the cables that adjust the heater tap and flap vents behind the heater control preventing it from coming out?

GTVeloce

Haven't attacked a 90 before, but having done a number of similar vintage Alfas I would suggest you need to remove the trim that surrounds the gear knob. Once all the necessary screws etc are removed, the unit probably slides away from the dash (towards the gear knob), quite possibly over a small lip i.e. give it a firm tug.

That said, keep an eye on the cables and other connections at the back that may limit your movement, especially the thermostat as you don't want to break the capillary that comes off it.

Dishy

Hi All,
     Thanks for the replies.

I tried to slide the centre console back like the instructions that Paul attached and it feels like there is still something holding it in place at the front of the gearstick, near the cigarette lighter. I have pulled out the metal stereo surround and found a couple of zip ties, but I think they were only holding in some wiring to the electric seats.

Dishy

Dishy

Hi All,
     Well it has been resolved in a way. I never ended up getting the centre console out in the end. But I was able to get to the little circuit board with the heater fan resistors out and repair it based on this post. 

https://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=5448.15