Alfetta rear giubos

Started by festy, March 19, 2023, 04:53:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poohbah

Cheers Festy - $300 sounds remarkably cheap, may even look at getting one myself.

And thanks for the offer mate, I'll PM you.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

MD

festy,
The fit may be better but you probably removed the bearing hardness in the process me thinks.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

festy

No bearing faces were harmed in this production  ;D
The bore's hardening would have been removed, but the untempered material underneath is still an order of magnitude or two harder than the tailshaft spigot its pressed on to.
And the machining wouldn't have generated nearly enough heat to affect the hardening or coating on the ball's outer face.
But even if it had, I think the bearing would still last longer than the rubber giubo its installed in :)

MD

I see it all remarked the blind man..
Love the bravado and the sense of humour.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

poohbah

Big shout out to Festy as a first class gentleman. Package containing two pristine door latch surrounds arrived today, I can't wait to pop them in on the weekend. Cheers mate, your generosity is greatly appreciated.

1981 GTV

festy

Quote from: MD on April 01, 2023, 07:13:31 PM
I see it all remarked the blind man..
Love the bravado and the sense of humour.
I did think that it was all a catastrophic failure midway through my first test drive though, what started as a slight vibration on deceleration quickly escalated making me wonder if I could make it back home without throwing the tailshaft :o
It turned out that I'd tightened the nuts on the front giubo with the clamping ring still on, and had forgotten to re-tighten them after removing it. I gave everything a very thorough check after that...

Quote from: poohbah on April 13, 2023, 02:39:47 AM
Big shout out to Festy as a first class gentleman. Package containing two pristine door latch surrounds arrived today, I can't wait to pop them in on the weekend. Cheers mate, your generosity is greatly appreciated.
If they survived an interstate trip through the post without any of the tabs breaking off, then maybe they're stronger than I thought!  ;D

poohbah

Your diligent packing was very impressive - and effective!
            1981 GTV