RHD v LHD Air con box

Started by alfahaze, April 21, 2022, 11:12:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfahaze

I realise this is a long shot, but I wondered if anyone has any ideas regarding my GTV6 AC box. I purchased it from the USA, and I didn't realise quite how different the LHD box is to the RHD one. The heater valve fowls on the clutch pedal, so it appears the RHD version has the heater valve moved to the passenger side, which means the Matrix and Evaporator are modified, and also the heater lever is reversed, requiring the internal wiring to be re-routed. argggh

poohbah

The USA box looks exactly the same as the one in my '81 GTV.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

alfahaze

Hello.
sportiva, as far as I can see the two main plastic parts come from the same mouldings for RHD and LHD. There are small indentations in the plastic where you would mount the shelf bracket for RHD, and the pipes etc require different cut-outs, again these are marked on the mouldings, so the conversion for that looks relatively easy. There are holes for the RHD location of the heater cable mounting bracket. This reverses the hot and cold ends so the blue and red lights also need to be swapped. The heater matrix is a mirror image with the addition of a 90 degree bend to route one of the heater hoses behind the box. The parts diagram also shows the heater valve is different. The evaporator is also a mirror image.I think at this stage I am just going to try to get the heater working by soldering on some 11/16 copper tube. Odd that the rest of the car is metric apart from the heater matrix, the seatbelt bolts and the wheels. I've attached a parts diagram showing the different part numbers.