GTA ASR Off not working (FIXED)

Started by poohbah, February 20, 2022, 01:17:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poohbah

Folks, I've got a frustrating issue with the 156 GTA.

When I bought the car a couple of months ago the AFR Off function was working, but it has since stopped.

Obviously not a problem from a safety view - ASR is permanently on - but I would like to regain the option of turning it off for fun (really does make a difference to throttle response, notwithstanding the torque steer that comes with it).

The ASR Off light does illuminate on the dash when I turn on the ignition, adn then goes off as it should, and there are no other warning lights. The power is going to the switch on the gearchange surround - all the mirror and fog-light switches work, and the ASR button itself illuminates with the lights on (but not the Off light that sits immediately above the switch).

I have removed the switch panel and circuit board and cleaned the little bit of crud that was collected on it with leccy cleaner, and squirted the pins, but still no luck.

Any ideas where I should try next?  I'm convinced it must be electrical or connection related.

I can't imagine it would be as simple as a fuse as from what I can gather it shares a fuse with reversing lights, cruise control and stereo etc, all of which are working.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

Citroƫnbender

Have you got MES? You could see if the switch thinks it's being pressed.

poohbah

Love it when a bit of amateur sleuthing works.

All now working again - two fuses were blown, and one was the wrong amperage.

Interestingly, it appears replacing the fuses also corrected another fault - I recently refitted the original head unit but would have to manually turn it off after switching off the ignition. It now switches off with the ignition.

1981 GTV

poohbah

I'm not sure how the various management systems interact, but changing those two fuses has not only fixed the issues with the ASR and stereo functions, but the whole car feels crisper.

It had been feeling slightly "off" since the ASR button stopped working - maybe down 5% - but all is now completely back to normal. Even the exhaust note seems crisper and the throttle response in both normal and ASR Off modes is sharper. Which seems implausible to me, but it is definitely the case.

When I refitted the original head unit, the aftermarket one came out with a very messy amateur adaptor harness to incorporate its added functions (bluetooth, phone, microphone etc into the main loom. Whereas the original unit plugged straight in to the factory connectors as you'd expect. So I was surprised when the stereo operation had a few glitches, like cutting out intermittently, and staying on when ignition was switched off. Both faults are now gone.

The test now will be whether the fuses blow again prematurely, and if so, why.

There were also 4 mystery cables I found (which seem to be part of a former sound system) running under the carpet between the front seats and up into the centre console with old fashioned single pin male plugs on the console end. I am guessing they once ran to a sub-woofer or similar in the boot and plugged into an amp in the console, long since gone. (I am the fourth owner, I think).
            1981 GTV