Ignition switch/barrel cross compatibilty

Started by sudsy, January 30, 2022, 10:48:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sudsy

After the recent attempted theft of the sedan last night, I've been researching for a cost effective replacement for my (now) mutilated ignition switch/barrel.
In so doing, I have noticed that there seems to be a lot of similarity between ignition barrels of Alfas of a similar era (and even older and younger).

It makes sense that they used the same part across various models.

Mine is a 79 Alfetta with a 4 wire switch. It seems that the Sud and Spiders used a "similar" part (77-85). Some appear to have an extra connector that looks as though it would just lift out..
And on initial impression it seems as though even late 105 parts would suit..

Any thoughts.?
Thanks

Gone not forgotten
74 Sud Ti
74 Sud L
74 Alfetta
79 Sud 1.5 Ti
78 GTV
86 75 2.5

Current
79 GTV
79 Alfetta

rowan_bris

Neither Sud nor 105 switches will fit.  Not sure whether a really late spider would but you shouldn't have any problem getting the right one from any Alfa supplier

sudsy

Thanks Rowan.

Spoke with Hugh at Monza today..

Looks like he may have what I need...

Gone not forgotten
74 Sud Ti
74 Sud L
74 Alfetta
79 Sud 1.5 Ti
78 GTV
86 75 2.5

Current
79 GTV
79 Alfetta

GTV-074

Hey that's terrible....

What's the back story on the attempted theft? Where was the car, what suburb, I need to know whether I should upgrade locks ... was the car outside?

Hope there was too much damage..

Cheers.
Speed costs money - how fast do you want to go?

NigelC

Sudsy, I may have one with key for 1979 Alfetta GTV, I removed it when I converted mine to Group S- will check the shed tonight
Current 2017 Giulia Veloce - Red
Current 1979 Alfa GTV - Ivory (Gp S racer)
Past 2007 Alfa 159 2.2 JTS Rubino Red
Past 2003 Alfa 156 2.0 JTS Red
Past 1979 Alfa GTV Red/Rust

sudsy

Thanks everyone for the support.

Hugh at Monza is sending me the ignition barrel and the window.

Managed to repair the steering column cowling..

The car was left in the street (my fault);

I have had other  pre-immobiliser cars "got at" before here.
An "easy target " for opportunists with a screwdriver in their pockets, however they hadn't figured on my electrical isolation switch.

As violated as I felt, I was lucky because I was just able to get my key in the ignition and unlock the steering.
(key is staying in situ for the moment).

Also could have been much worse if they got it and never to be seen again or worse still, found burnt out somewhere.

Had a 89 Mazda 323sp got at twice last year in my driveway. Same deal broken window/smashed ignition.
Little did they know, that it didn't have a battery installed; which they would have discovered, as it was obvious they had opened the bonnet...Surprize!!!!

I'm kicking myself because I think "This car is protected" kind of warning stickers may have helped in both cases, as would too an conspicuous  flashing LED.

Plus a good quality  steering wheel lock too..

All to do's whilst I wait on the parts from Monza..

So yes, as most modern cars are increasingly difficult/impossible to steal without the keys, older cars are certainly being targeted in my experience.

Gone not forgotten
74 Sud Ti
74 Sud L
74 Alfetta
79 Sud 1.5 Ti
78 GTV
86 75 2.5

Current
79 GTV
79 Alfetta