Started by poohbah, January 26, 2022, 01:41:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poohbah

Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

Beatle

Aftermarket electric pumps designed to replace your mechanical pump as the primary coolant pump:  https://daviescraig.com.au/electric-water-pumps

Many other vehicles use an electric pump as an auxiliary pump, usually to cool turbochargers (Audi/VW).
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd
'04 GT 3.2 Rosso/Tan - Glorious
'02 156 V6 Auto Rosso/Tan - Useful daily

johnl

But still, already hot parts aren't going to get any hotter after the source of the heat has been turned off...

If getting too hot is damaging (which of course it is), then the damage will already be done. I can't see it making any difference how quickly any overheated components cool down, i.e. slowly, or a bit less slowly...

Don't get me wrong, the idea of an electric coolant pump has some appeal, not having to remove the belts to change it being one...

Regards,
John.

poohbah

More drama to report, not cooling related.

Driving home last night I suddenly just lost all gears  without a sound, no vibration  no warning lights, nothing. Gearstick felt like it was not connected to anything. Clutch pedal still felt good, plenty of fluid in reservoir, just couldn't select any gears (does clutch automatically disengage, or was I just lucky it didn't stay in gear?).

So hopefully it is just a failed linkage. Had it trucked back to the workshop this afternoon, so I will hear the official diagnosis soon enough.

But I was waiting for 5 hours for recovery truck last night, which meant I got home at 3am...what a treat.

Coincidentally, as I was dropping my car in to the shop, it's black GTA twin was driving out. Howdy BT!
            1981 GTV

poohbah

Good news, car is already fixed. Linkage as hoped for.

Thank the almighty...
            1981 GTV

bteoh

Hi John,
I wondered if that was your GTA on the flatbed. Lucky that it was a simple fix. It has happened to mine where the linkage end at the gearbox comes loose. Sometimes it is the locking nut not being tightened properly. Should get together one day. Cheers  :)

poohbah

Cheers BT.

Yep, its a big relief it was nothing more complicated. Definitely would be good to catch up, maybe at  club run. Haven't been on any for a while.

I suspect yours is closer to showroom condition than mine.  I've now got to start working through the non-urgent items - AC (though that is increasingly urgent at moment...), LCD display, headliner, detailing/paint chips, and rim refurb being the main ones.
            1981 GTV

bazzbazz

Quote from: poohbah on February 04, 2022, 08:04:54 PM
I've now got to start working through the non-urgent items - AC (though that is increasingly urgent at moment...), LCD display, headliner, detailing/paint chips, and rim refurb being the main ones.

Installation of HALO Fire Suppression System . . . . .  ;D
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

bteoh

Quote from: poohbah on February 04, 2022, 08:04:54 PM
Cheers BT.

Yep, its a big relief it was nothing more complicated. Definitely would be good to catch up, maybe at  club run. Haven't been on any for a while.

I suspect yours is closer to showroom condition than mine.  I've now got to start working through the non-urgent items - AC (though that is increasingly urgent at moment...), LCD display, headliner, detailing/paint chips, and rim refurb being the main ones.

Mine is far from showroom condition but still very enjoyable to drive. The AC in the car isn't terribly good compared to Japanese cars but still functional. Vents look good but flow of air out of them are woeful.
Take good care of your headlights as they are near impossible to buy anymore.

poohbah

Cheers mate. Yep AC on these cars is barely sufficient at their best. Ironically I had just had one year with working AC in my prior 156, after 4 years without, when I had to sell to make room for the GTA.

In terms of headlights, have you refurbished your lens covers? I had to clean mine up to pass inspection, but already a bit hazy again. Might need to get the wet sanding kit out this time.
            1981 GTV

bteoh

Lucky my headlamps are still ok and are clear. You might have to clear or ceramic coat it once you polish the lens? The ballast had gone in one of mine and had to be changed. Make sure you get the right part number if yours goes. I was told another one would work - which it did but the self levelling function did not. So in the end, I managed to source the exact part.
Cheers

poohbah

Cheers, the headlights are all working ok - had to get them right when I put it over the pits. But I would like to get the lens as clear as I can.
            1981 GTV