Should I buy an Alfa 159?

Started by djohnn955i, October 02, 2021, 07:57:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djohnn955i

Hello everyone,
I'm not yet an Alfa owner but think I would like to be.
First though, I thought it wise to ask those who really know what they're talking about for their opinions.
In a nutshell, I've fallen in love with the idea of owning a 159, specifically with a petrol engine. I love the style of the thing, being both pretty to look at and just 'different' to all the other bland, generic offerings available nowadays.
So, tell me... Is it a good idea? Can i expect reliability or mechanical grief? Should I lean towards a 2.2 or 3.2 litre engines?
I'd appreciate any input or advice.
Thank you all.
Cheers, David

JimB

Hi David,
Yes, do buy a 159.
In '16 I bought a '98, '99 first reg'd, JTS Ti, a 2.2l 6 speed. It came from an architect who had been careful with the car, he had only done 21,000km in 7 years. The service history was satisfactory, despite the low mileage.
Whilst I haven't driven it daily, it has not reached 70,000km, it has been very satisfactory and enjoyable and interesting. Indeed owning it has been an interesting experience. The car is a head turner.
Fuel consumption probably is unimportant, but will be about 10L/100, tyre wear is ferocious. First set replaced by the first owner at 20,000km, third set at 45,000km my next set coming up at about 71,00km.
Finally my earnest recommendation is that you KISS, buy a 2.2 petrol, manual if you can. Get the absolutely youngest and best example you can find, with an exhaustive, impeccable service history from the original owner. My rationale is probably self explanatory, however whilst the V6 is a fantastic car the 2.2's are far less complicated. Finding an experienced service operator is not always easy.
David you can call me on 0419 816 495 anytime and take advantage of my 45 years in the car trade. Please call and leave a message in the first instance, as I won't recognise your number. Jim

Craig_m67

Are the 2.2's less complicated than the V6, what's that based upon??

The best version is the 1750tbi, there's not many of them about but that's the one to have.  Personally, I don't regard mileage as an indicator of condition.  I've had lots of high mileage Alfas (over the last 35yrs) that due to good (preventative) servicing have all been fine.

Always buy on service condition/history and spec (Ti in this case)

After the 1750tbi I'd take a 2.4JTD (diesel).  It has the grunt (torque) to drag the overweight 159 around without the horrendous fuel consumption of the 2.2 or V6.  Both of which are kinda flat and underpowered for what they are, with none of the charisma of earlier Petrol Alfas.

The 1750tbi and the JTD's are FPT products (Fiat/Alfa/yada yada). 

Lots of opinions/experience in here, suggest you drive a few variants to see which one you like 👍

'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

djohnn955i

Hey Jim and Craig,
Apologies for the incredibly late response and thankyou both for your input.

I did buy a 159 in Dec 2021 and couldn't be happier.

I found a red, one owner 2.4 JTDm Ti in NSW, had MTA Pre Purchase Inspections do a thorough inspection and test, agreed a price and had it shipped to Hobart.

The car had barely 30,000 km on it, is like new inside and out with a full service history.

Although the timing belt/water pump etc had been replaced only 8,000 km ago, that was also 8 years ago so I bought all new SKF parts and changed it all myself. Not a big deal and worth the peace of mind.

5 new glow plugs got rid of an intermittent dash board message and apart from that, an all over cut, polish and wax was all that was required.

It's a weekend driver and I absolutely love it. Makes me smile every time I go in the garage.

Before I sign off, I must recommend MTA Pre Purchase Inspections who did the inspection for me. For $315 I was really impressed with how comprehensive the inspection was. The inspector rang me immediately after and discussed the car and I received a 43 page email report and photographs. Couldn't ask for more. Outstanding.