Early vs Late GTV6

Started by Rob Berson, January 04, 2009, 07:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob Berson

Are there many differences between an early GTV6 with split instument panel and a later model and would one expect much of a price differenece betwwen the two assuming they are in the same condition?  Would condition be more important than build year in terms of purchasing a car?

Thanks
Rob

1750GT

Rob I am not an expert but I would have thought that aside from some special models such as the GTV6 GP which in my mind is the car to get if you are after something special, but hard to find, the later the GTV6 the better as the later models got the 3lt motor, body  add on's and drive train upgrades. Generally however low klm's, proper servicing, minimal owners, owner service books etc. and most importantly cars that have not been modified or raced (unless your looking for a race special) are the way to go.

If you google the Alfa GTV6 GP you will be able to get info: on this vehicle. Heres one for sale at mille miglia motors in Melbourne with pics -http://www.alfauto.com.au/indexf.htm - I note that I am not vouching for this car, I found it when searching for another item.

Good Luck 1750GT

pep105

Hi Rob,

With the early GTV6 (83 intro) apart from the split dash, there was a different interior which was either grey or beige velour, seats had black stripes through them, like the 81 - 83 GTV plastic bumper 2 litre interior.

The window frames were body colour and the gtv6 badge script on the hatch was in lower case. Mechanically there wasnt much difference (apart from isotatic gearbox which came later) from memory. Engine was leaded 117kw version.

Then in late 83 early 84 came the facelift which had the one piece dash (with a clock!) the black or beige recaro type seats with the netted headrests, black painted door frames and the GTV6 badge in upper case on the rear. Also some cars had the lower section of the doors and rear qtr panel in charcoal to match the bumpers while some were body colour. Then in mid 85 came the isostatic gearbox upgrade that improved the shift quality. Some of these changes seem trivial but thats what i remember (I need to take up another hobby!!) Also some early cars had campagnolo alloys while others had cromadora's they are of similar design but are slightly different and both are 15 inch - how do i know this ? my 82 GTV had 4 cromadora's and a campangnolo spare........

Again Im no expert maybe some of the more recent GTV6 dudes can help here as this is straight from the top of my head after a few corona's late at night !

I think condition would be more important than year as I would be happy with either, while years ago i wouldve said get a later car theres something nice about the early ones, although I havent seen an early split dash version in ages as they werent around for long in Australia anyway. I wouldnt think there would be a huge price difference as a GTV6 nowadays is a rare beast indeed especially in good nick. My mates old man bought the second GTV6 delivered into australia from new in 83 (split dash) and it was given to him as his first car at 18 (b*stard). The first time I saw it I nearly died - What a stunning car that was.

Anyway good luck and I hope this helps
Cheers
Pep
Current
'74 GT 1600 Junior  (Currently under restoration)
'84 Alfetta GCL Sedan
'02 Vespa ET4 150
'05 GT 3.2
Past
'82 Fiat 131 Superbrava Mk II
'82 Alfetta GTV 2.0
'88 75 Twinspark
'80 Alfetta Sedan
'02 147 Twinspark

redalfaracing

Very interesting, CAMS have told me that for PRC eligabilty a GTV 6 needs the one piece dash. do we have any evidence to back up the notion that the early GTV6 came with a split dash?
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC
'83 GTV6 3.0L 24v CRC Project
'83 GTV6 restoration project

Jekyll and Hyde

QuoteVery interesting, CAMS have told me that for PRC eligabilty a GTV 6 needs the one piece dash. do we have any evidence to back up the notion that the early GTV6 came with a split dash?

http://www.oztion.com.au/buy/auction.aspx?itemid=6445129

Brochure listed by Peter Stapleton in Ballarat - if its an early brochure, you'd think it should show the two piece dash, although it seems to have a one piece going off the inside photo.  Bit hard to tell for sure though.  Could always ring him up and ask, I'm sure he'll be happy to help.  CAMS should surely take that as evidence?

Paul Newby

Just to add to what pep105 and others have already said. I believe that only 37 "split-dash" GTV6s made it here in 83. The first of the "single-dash" GTV6s in 84 only came with a drivers side electric mirror and you could get them in white (my favourite colour!) for the first time. In 85 came not only the isostatic gearbox (a dubious improvement) but also the shorter front torsion bars and twin mirrors! I think in 86 the engine went unleaded and lost a couple of KW of power. Not too sure whether this was before or actually for the GP model which rounded things off for the GTV6 in late 86. If I recall the GP model also had different 15 inch wheels to the earlier GTV6.

My pick would be an 85 or early 86 GTV6 in white. About 10 years ago I would have looked at about 8 of them  in such spec, but they were either too expensive or too tired (160K +) In the end I brought a 75 TS from a friend with excellent history (a wise move as it turned out... :))
1974 2000 GT Veloce (Le Mans Blue) - Restoration project
1975 Alfetta GT (Periwinkle Blue Metallic) - Group S racer - Sold!
2009 147 Monza 3Dr (Kyalami Black) - Don't ask!
2010 VW Passat R36 Wagon (Biscay Blue) - Daily Driver
2015 VW Golf GTI Performance (Night Blue) - Wife's Runabout

Rob Berson

The car I am looking at is possibly the first Aussie delivered GTV6 - supposedly the car from the 1982 motor show. The dealer delivery stamp is from 1982 - cant remember the month. It is a split dash car and does not have a sun roof. It seems that most of the later cars have sun roofs and my preference is for a car without one.

Rob

Al Campbell

I have a "Single Dash" GTV6.  1983 build plate, 1984 compliance plate.

Paul Newby

Quote from: Rob Berson on January 05, 2009, 04:51:12 PM
The car I am looking at is possibly the first Aussie delivered GTV6 - supposedly the car from the 1982 motor show. The dealer delivery stamp is from 1982 - cant remember the month. It is a split dash car and does not have a sun roof. It seems that most of the later cars have sun roofs and my preference is for a car without one.

Rob

Rob, the first GTV6 to come to Australia was a red one in 1982, which was for evaluation and then tested by the local magazines. From memory the NSW rego was "LPV" something. This car was sold to Ray Gulson and became a Group C and A race car, usually in Dulux colours (though in 82 at Bathurst it was red with "Stefan" - hairdressers branding) and I believe still in Scott Farquharson's ownership.

If the car you are looking at is silver with black leather on Fondmetal wheels with a bodykit, then it is a private English import (not sure if it was a Motor Show display car) that belonged to a prominent AROCA Life Member in Sydney for many years.
1974 2000 GT Veloce (Le Mans Blue) - Restoration project
1975 Alfetta GT (Periwinkle Blue Metallic) - Group S racer - Sold!
2009 147 Monza 3Dr (Kyalami Black) - Don't ask!
2010 VW Passat R36 Wagon (Biscay Blue) - Daily Driver
2015 VW Golf GTI Performance (Night Blue) - Wife's Runabout

Rob Berson

Paul

The car is red with velour interior and is definitely an Aussie delivered car - it was supoosedly exhibited at the motor show and bought off the show by its only owner. However this is all third hand info so who knows.

Rob 

Mat Francis

Quotethe later the GTV6 the better as the later models got the 3lt motor

just for future reference, it was my understanding that there were only 200 3L GTV6's produced, all of which went to South Africa. if you stumble across one there is a good chance it has had a transplant at some point. They also had carbies. there was a discussion on another thread somewhere about it.
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

pep105

Also I understood that all Aus delivered GTV6s were leaded including the Grand Prix as although they were sold in the 1986 model year which is when ULP compliance begun only the 75 and 90 (update) got the 115 kw unleaded motor whereas the GTV6s carried on with the leaded motor until they ran out. Is this correct ? Was there an unleaded spec GTV6 sold here? 

Rob/Paul just for your info the GTV6 my friends dad owned was red with beige velour and factory sunroof. The vic rego was 'BRI' but dont remember the last 3 digits and it was an 83 model, they claim it was the 2nd one delivered but who knows. Also just to open up another can of worms my 82 GTV 2.0 had two electric mirrors, very rare, so rare in fact that when i went out for dinner one night some slimy bastard stole the LH one !   
Current
'74 GT 1600 Junior  (Currently under restoration)
'84 Alfetta GCL Sedan
'02 Vespa ET4 150
'05 GT 3.2
Past
'82 Fiat 131 Superbrava Mk II
'82 Alfetta GTV 2.0
'88 75 Twinspark
'80 Alfetta Sedan
'02 147 Twinspark

ANT_GTV6

Rob

Im lucky enough to own an 83 split dash and a 85 model. The rewards of buying a great car are well worth it as i havnt really had anything major wrong with the 85 model and thats with about 8 rounds of sprinting through 08. Whereas the 83 model wasnt in the greatest condition and i bought it unregistered but it will get there eventually as its going to be my race car. The isostatic gearbox in the later model helps with gear changes but i definately wouldnt pass up a really good early model because of that reason alone especially if it doesnt have a sunroof. Also i have read a few articles stating that the 84-86 models had a slighty shorter final drive and some gear ratios compared to the 82-83 models.

Anthony

redalfaracing

If anyone has detailed photos of a split dash GTV 6 i would be interested to see them. eg interior, front view, rear view and side views. you can email them to me please, redalfaracing@gmail.com Thanks in advance.
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC
'83 GTV6 3.0L 24v CRC Project
'83 GTV6 restoration project

Scott Farquharson

Yes, the Dulux car was the "press" car from the 82 motor show and all the press articles/road tests - the first GTV6 in Aus.  Once it finished duties as the press car Ray took it Bathurst.  I have the original split dash as Ray updated to the new dash in 84ish.

Maybe the car you are looking at was the first customer delivered car?  I didn't think they delivered cust cars until 83?

The 82/83 cars were a strange mix of the metal and later plastic bumper interiors with split dash early style seats and trim.  Even the exteriors were different with the early cars not having the bigger cross and serpent badge or paint along the door at the bumper line.

The Dulux car had a different livery each year as Ray did whatever it took to get sponsors.  ANT_GTV6's avatar is from Bathurst 1984.  The rest can be seen here http://www.malvern-group.com.au/dulux/dulux_alfa_romeo_gtv6.htm.

Also I thought the Grand Prix's had the unleaded motor?

Also the 3l car was a one off Sth Africa only car with carbies built to compete against the BMW's in the SA touring car champs.

Could I ask what "PRC eligibility" is?

My own opinion is a good '85 model is the best GTV6 to get for all round use.

Scott Farquharson
Group A Dulux Alfetta GTV6
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)