156 front bearings

Started by martym00se72, May 27, 2021, 06:00:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martym00se72

Hi Folks,
When it rains, it pours!  So I have started hearing a whirring kinda noise from the front of my 1999 156 TS manual which gets more pronounced when turning the wheel slightly and is definitely speed related.

I have self diagnosed that this is likely the bearings - how big a job is this and do you need a press for the task (as I don't have one). I suspect there is nothing overly tricky in the task but the need for a press could be a killer for me doing it :( - I'd like to save the $$ of going to a workshop if possible.
Cheers
Marty
'83 GTV6 - 3.0 is in! Ohhh yeah!
'99 156 T-spark - Formula 98 ready!

What do people do with their old 2.5...?

bazzbazz

Sorry, but yes, you're gonna need a press to do the job properly.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

martym00se72

As they say in the classics - Bugger!

156Buck

You can always disassemble everything and take the upright/hub to a workshop to complete all the press related work - that is what I did when I changed mine.
It is a good chance to change out any other front suspension/steering components too. With the upright out of the way, I found lower wishbones only a little bit less annoying to get in than I thought!

From what I found out, I would double check driveshafts too. I thought my front end issues were bearing related until the driveshafts came out for inspection.

http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=20431.msg115628#msg115628 - hopefully this helps you avoid my mistakes with the press if you give it a go.
'01 156 TS
'72 Berlina 2000

bazzbazz

Quote from: 156Buck on May 31, 2021, 07:00:36 PM
From what I found out, I would double check driveshafts too. I thought my front end issues were bearing related until the driveshafts came out for inspection.

What were wrong with the driveshafts, they are usually pretty bullet proof?

Or are you referring to the CV joints?
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

156Buck

Referring to the CV Joints, cheers bazz.

Would have to be really going for it to do any damage to the driveshafts with a Twinspark I'd imagine!
'01 156 TS
'72 Berlina 2000

martym00se72

Ended up taking it to one of the local club sponsors (gotta support them as they look after us!) Peter at Eurosport and he sorted me out. Apparently they we pretty much welded in place they had been running that hot - thought I could hear something! :) And so glad I didn't start to tackle it myself - wouldn't have happened.

My CV boots are split but he couldn't source replacements - can I just whack some bearing grease in there in the hope to prolong life whilst I source some boots... does anyone know if either of the 2 sizes of generic boots that Repco stock will fit - or of where else I might get some.  I only just recently picked up a full set of CV joint boots for my GTV6 but the same place doesn't have 156 boots. At least I know things should come apart now, thanks to Peter and his crew!

bazzbazz

These guys should have them -

Italian Automotive Spares (Melb) - 03 9036 1606

Arese Spares (Syd) - 0411123640

On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast