Alfa 90 charge light

Started by Dishy, January 06, 2021, 06:19:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dishy

Hello All,
           I have an electrical problem in my Alfa Romeo 90. Every time I put the heater fan on the battery charge light comes on. The charge light doesn't come on with any other load like the headlights and rear demister. I have checked the battery voltage and it's 12.6V with the engine off, 13.6V with the engine idling and it remains at 13.6V with lights and heater fan on. I'm guessing that the heater fan and the ARC share an earth point under the dash and it needs cleaning.
       I have checked the electrical system manual and there is an earth bloom on the firewall under the dash. But I can't find it sticking my head in the footwell and looking up. Does anyone know where this earth bloom is or where the heater fan earth point is?

GTVeloce

Not sure if it is the same as a 75? If it is, check out Shinycar's photo which shows the earth point without the dash. Accessing the earth point with the dash in place is tricky.

It could also be something like a poor connection at the fan or the resistors.

Colin Edwards

On my 75 an earth point for the dash electricals is near the base of the drivers side "A" pillar - about mid way between the door hinges.  The 90 could be similar.

Have you tried cleaning ALL the ACR connections with IPA then contact cleaner / lubricant?
Has the 5 volt regulator on the ACR p.c.b been updated?

Colin
Present
2023 Tonale Veloce
2018 Abarth 124 Spider
1987 75 3.0

Past
2020 Giulietta Veloce
2015 Giulietta QV
2009 159 3.2 Ti Q4
2012 Giulietta TCT Veloce
2006 147 Ti 2 door Selespeed
1979 Alfasud Ti 1.5