First step to Group S

Started by NigelC, December 10, 2008, 09:02:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NigelC

I've taken the first step towards Group S by buying a 1979 GTV 2000.  It is in fantastic condition and has obviously been maintained meticulously by a bevy of Alfa fanatics.  There is very little rust evident, which is quite unusual; the car is straight and original.  Even the radio is bog-standard! Looking at it today it is almost a shame to turn it into a Group S but give me time and I'll be tearing out carpet, replacing seats, getting a roll-cage built, moving the battery to the rear, fitting bonnet clips, fire extinguisher, upgrading sway bars, removing bumpers etc etc.  But before I do that I'm going to enjoy owning and driving an old Alfa for a little while - there really is no joy like it.  If you think you can wipe the smile from my face, there is no way - if you see a Cheshire cat driving a classic Alfa, wave 'cos it's probably me. 

I'll keep you posted on how I go. 

Now to business... The car is fitted with a sunroof that we think was a factory option.  Can I race it with one (would have to change from glass to plastic) or should I remove it and rte-skin the roof?  Any advice would be gladly received.
Current 2017 Giulia Veloce - Red
Current 1979 Alfa GTV - Ivory (Gp S racer)
Past 2007 Alfa 159 2.2 JTS Rubino Red
Past 2003 Alfa 156 2.0 JTS Red
Past 1979 Alfa GTV Red/Rust

alfagtv58

Great stuff Nigel.  Congrats.

Sunroof does not need to be removed (pretty sure most of the Porshes have them), but they are quite heavy and the weight is at the highest point on the car (making the centre of gravity higher) so if you are looking to make it the quickest you possibly can then i would remove it, if you are just looking to get started and see where it takes you, dont worry about it for now, you can always remove it later.

Feel free to fire more questions at us, we will answer what we can and find out the answer if unknown!!

Another good contact (given you are in NSW) is Steve Smith who is the assistant compsec for AROCA NSW and eligibility officer for the VRA.

Oh yeah, post up some pics.
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

Scott Farquharson

Great news Nigel - let us know if we can be of assistance..
Scott Farquharson
Group A Dulux Alfetta GTV6
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

NigelC

Trying to post some pictures >>> ::)

Scott Farquharson

Yes, saw the car on ebay - looks like a good one. Congrats.
Scott Farquharson
Group A Dulux Alfetta GTV6
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

John A Pucak

Good start to Group S Nigel, hope to see you on the track some time soon. nice Momo Vegas rims with centre caps are rare. Are you in Sydney?
Regards John(Hollywood)

Southern75

Nigel if you are in Sydney make the effort to come to a club meeting or a supersprint or a VRA meeting ... the guys in the club are generally happy to share their experiences and offer assistance.

If you want more information feel free to contact me ... details on AROCA NSW website
Rust, nah that's not rust .... its iron oxide!!!

Alfas:
1977 Alfasud ti (race)
1980 Alfasud ti (race)
1987 75 V6 (toy)
2008 147 JDTM (sensible?)

NigelC

Thank you for all the offers of help, I'll be sure to use most of them let me assure you! 

I'm in Queanbeyan (near some insignificant little town called Canberra) so I've already sent off my AROCA club membership application. 

I'm not going to do much with the car straight away because I'm in a flat at the moment (divorce!!!) but I'm looking for a place with a nice big shed and when I do I'll start preparing the bodywork so this car lasts another 30 years.

NigelC

Finally, there is movement at the station.  Vin Sharp has modified a TS transaxle for me and botht the treansaxle and upgraded suspension (re-valved Koni yellows, 30mm torsion bars, 24mm sway bar kits and rear springs) are being fitted by the end of this month.

Sunroof (an after-market rust attractor) is being removed along with the rusty roof and replaced with a roof skin from another GTV, once the mechanicals are completed.

Getting a roll-cage in Canberra is next to impossible so I'll get that done in Sydney.

I've spent hours of my life chipping away at the deadening material (tar) applied to the indise of the vehicle and removing that is nigh on complete so the car is taking shape.

Question:  Obviously the headlining was trimmed to fit the sunroof.  Is there a requirement in Group S to keep the headlining or can it be removed much like the floor covering?

John A Pucak

I think the headlining makes up part of the interior, so going by the rules it will have to stay.
Good Luck
John

alfagtv58

Quote from: John A Pucak on August 17, 2009, 11:00:47 PM
I think the headlining makes up part of the interior, so going by the rules it will have to stay.

Agreed, I think it falls under the 'where the rules are silent, keep it standard' bit.  The rules state that you can remove the floor coverings.....that's about it!!

Shhh, as the centre console in my car was beyond repair I decided not to replace it.....its kinda a floor covering  ???
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

NigelC

Good advice, but not the advice I was hoping for! 

Somehow I will keep the headlining but the 'floor-covering' console was a little like yours Phil, it had been 'repaired' with aluminium strips and screws - I think the previous owner must have been an orthopaedic surgeon. 

Ostensibly it was however beyond any sensible recovery.

NigelC

Seats and harnesses arrived today and now decorate the garage along with a window net and tow-hooks all of which are being fitted next week along with the roll-cage.  New roof-skin and re-spray (original Ivory colour) will follow over the next month.

Get new tyres this weekend. (Bridgestone RE55S)

Slowly, slowly it's coming together.  Will post pics when cage in.  The car still looks like a wreckers delight at the moment!

alfagtv58

So was taking photos at Wakefield last weekend motivation for you Nigel?  What's the plan for the debut meeting?
2009 159 JTS Ti

NigelC

Haven't even thought about a debut event Phil but it will certainly be early next year.  I think the car will be ready to be logged as Group Sc by January.  Spending a day at Wakefield on Monday for a full day's training although it will be in a race-prepared Nissan GTR  - not my car.  Should be fun though.