Oil Catch Can - 2.0 JTS Engine

Started by arash79, August 21, 2020, 01:48:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arash79

HI Guys,

I'm new to the this forum and had a question to ask.

I have recently bought a 2003 Spider and later found out that it has a direct injected engine. 
I know from previous experience that direct injected engine have a tenancy for the intake valve to cake up with carbon.  For this reason i was to install an oil catch can to prevent any blow by gases from entering back into the intake manifold.
I did notice however that there are two pipes connecting from the valve cover to before and after the throttle body.  For this reason i'm unsure which of the pipes to connect the catch can to.

If anybody has install a catch can onto this engine before and can shed some light on the situation that will be greatly appreciated.

I have uploaded some pictures for reference.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/115mz6XMqzGCr6DYzVxTumJvq8DMZ8wXq/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uncKzVrdYoUw_DN-nzp7Ye97UORM2BHJ/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bqROlqk4CVg9fXXng6tCy33sSF8WQSyE/view?usp=sharing

Colin Edwards

Hi Arash79.

I have not fitted a catch can to a JTS, however the pipe downstream of the throttle body would be the one under engine vacuum and the route most likely used to vent (and burn) blow by vapours. 
Although it looks like a fair bit of work with the engine installed, it may be worth looking down the inlet tract with a borescope to ascertain the condition of the inlet valves.  Fitting suitably engineered inspection plugs to the inlet manifold has been done in the past.  The plugs are removed say every 20k to look at the inlet tract condition and ascertain if cleaning is required.  The cleaning seems to be very effective.  You may not need to do any cleaning if low volitility oil has been used.
Present
2023 Tonale Veloce
2018 Abarth 124 Spider
1987 75 3.0

Past
2020 Giulietta Veloce
2015 Giulietta QV
2009 159 3.2 Ti Q4
2012 Giulietta TCT Veloce
2006 147 Ti 2 door Selespeed
1979 Alfasud Ti 1.5

arash79

Thanks for the reply Colin,

I figured all I had to do was remove the hose connected to the PCV valve and connected the catch can hose between the valve cover and the PCV valve.

One connected then I could just mount the catch can in a suitable location. Is that correct?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UNr2h7sPTsA-fxVL4HfX2x1018dq1sRn/view?usp=sharing

Colin Edwards

Hi Arash79,

Sounds reasonable to me. 

The large rectangular "cavity?" in the rocker cover between the oil filler and the breather fitting suggests an oil separator.  The likely volume of this cavity would probably support a half decent oil separator arrangement.  The "Y" like breather / air inlet fitting suggests cool filtered air is mixing in and about this area with blow-by gasses.  The relatively cool inlet air should help condense the blow-by gases back into a liquid............oil, and then return this to the sump. 

Any chance of whipping off the rocker cover for a look inside?  If that rectangular cavity houses an oil separator it should, in theory, significantly reduce vapours heading past the PCV valve?
Present
2023 Tonale Veloce
2018 Abarth 124 Spider
1987 75 3.0

Past
2020 Giulietta Veloce
2015 Giulietta QV
2009 159 3.2 Ti Q4
1979 Alfasud Ti 1.5

Colin Edwards

Hi Arash79,

Your photo detailing the yellow highlighted hose seems to be the simplest and more obvious solution.

I'd be very reluctant to add anything else or disturb the cool / filtered air supply to the rocker cover / oil separator.  Added complexity usually increases the likelihood of a failure.

Colin
Present
2023 Tonale Veloce
2018 Abarth 124 Spider
1987 75 3.0

Past
2020 Giulietta Veloce
2015 Giulietta QV
2009 159 3.2 Ti Q4
1979 Alfasud Ti 1.5