Instrument lights not working on GT

Started by AndrewOst, June 20, 2020, 04:13:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndrewOst

Hi,

I've just bought myself a 2006 GT and the instrument lights are not working. It isn't just the tacho but the whole instrument panel behind the wheel.  I can't find a fuse that covers all lights on the dashboard. Instruments themselves work, just not the lights.
Any idea what it could be?
Thanks

bonno

Hi Andrew
Not sure if you checked the correct fuse, but here is a link to the fuse box diagrams for the Alfa GT.
https://www.autogenius.info/alfa-romeo-gt-2004-2010-fuse-box-diagram/

Beatle

And Andrew,

Don't give up if the fuse you check is OK.

I'm yet to find a fuse diagram for my 156 that matches the vehicle, including the factory handbook and the Australian supplement.
I think I recall running into the same problem on my 2004 GT.  It may take some deductive reasoning to narrow down the correct fuse.
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd
'04 GT 3.2 Rosso/Tan - Glorious
'02 156 V6 Auto Rosso/Tan - Useful daily

AndrewOst

Hi Both,

The fuses from the link are the same as in the manual.

I've pulled out about 5 or 6 of them and all look OK.  Some of them had different ratings to what was in the diagrams.  I put it down to previous owners but it could be what Beatle suggested.  Will probably go through and start at top left and check every single one of them, maybe with multi-meter and not just by sight.

It's gotta be something simple, or something very expensive so I'll start at simple.

Andrew

Beatle

Fuses in my 156 are generally grouped together similar to the diagrams, just not on the same panels. ::)  So when I was recently chasing the fuse for right rear window, I kept pulling fuses until I found ones relating to the other windows, and narrowed down the offending fuse in that manner.  And NONE of my secondary fuses ratings match the diagrams.....

I've found things of this nature are more likely to be simple or awkward, rather than simple or expensive.
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd

AndrewOst

I just checked every fuse with a multimeter and every one is OK.
Car will not start.
:'(

bonno

Check the condition of  battery with multimeter across the terminals and you should be getting a reading of >12.5 Volts. 

Beatle

...and take a really good look at the battery terminal connections.   They are prone to failure.

If battery and connections are all OK, start working through engine bay fuses and relays.

Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd

AndrewOst

Hi,

Done both.  Battery is good (I've tried a couple with up to 12.8V at terminals).  Engine bay fuses also good.

bonno

I take it that the engine cranks over, but refuses to start. If so, you can rule out  the starter motor and focus on spark or fuel related problem via the process of elimination/checks.

bazzbazz

Have you checked to see if the cambelt has failed?
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

AndrewOst

Hi Bonno,

Engine does crank but so slow it cannot fire.  I'm still looking at all options but fuel and spark are down the list till I can get a proper crank.

Thanks bazzbazz,

How do I do that without pulling it apart?  It doesn't make any strange noises like valves hitting pistons.

bazzbazz

Remove the bolts holding the plastic cambelt cover and remove the cover or if its a 4 cylinder pull it forward so you can see the belt and see if its tight & intact.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

bonno

Apart from the timing belt check and from what you describe as slow cranking, I would not discount the condition of battery specifically Cold Cranking Amps (Voltage drop) on cranking (Refer to the following video on how to checks).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eqw1CF1nOt8 

bonno

Hi Andrew
How did you go with the problem of starting the Alfa GT and did you get to the bottom of the instruments lights not working?? I assume the following post is a duplicate!!!!!
http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=20508.0