Alfetta love-balance-smile factor

Started by sudsy, September 09, 2019, 02:47:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sudsy

I have well sorted 79/2000 Alfetta sedan that up until now has not had much exercise.

When i say "well sorted",  all is generally good and tight but the tyres are quite old and of no great quality but safe and road worthy.

Took the car for another late night blast, and it reminded me of how quick point to point these cars are. Yes, you can hardly call them sharp and precise....but they get the job done without scrub/understeer, and can reassuring poke it  into any corner at heroic speed without issue. The balance and turning rotation on the basic chassis even with ordinary tyres is smile inducing..Throttle off oversteer/tuck-in an absolute joy.

I live in an area of remote unused roads within a few minutes drive, so am lucky to be able to appreciate the dynamics of a good 116 chassis.

The purpose of this post:

1) To brag
2) To enthuse other Alfa drivers to get out there and find roads where you can enjoy your Alfa Romeo engineering, and not just to potter and academically know how good your car is.

Gone not forgotten
74 Sud Ti
74 Sud L
74 Alfetta
79 Sud 1.5 Ti
78 GTV
86 75 2.5

Current
79 GTV
79 Alfetta

Citroënbender

Good to see another advocate for actually driving their car.

I always threaten to join a coffee or beer forum, if all car enthusiasts do is drive 15km to a pub or café, coffee and beer lovers must - by inverse logic - thrash the ring off their cars on fun back roads.  ???

sudsy

Thanks for the support.

I don't treat my cars like this on a regular basis, and in fact I have great mechanically sympathy.
Engine warmed up.
Good oil.
Very restricted redline activity.

That said I was using my hearing as a tacho, as was concentrating more so on looking ahead than instrument hunting.
I checked in once with the tacho only to be reminded of how beautifully obscured the tach needle is by the steering wheel at about 5000-6000..!! Well at least where I have my s/wheel adjusted..

To labour a point, the drive-ability all seems to come together with a little pace and spirit. Heel and toe perfect..Steering weight...Engine response ...And even the much maligned Alfetta gear change all seem to make terrific sense..

Ive given up on going on boring club runs, as, any exuberant driving is frowned upon, and I get shunned over the tea and scones!!

Gone not forgotten
74 Sud Ti
74 Sud L
74 Alfetta
79 Sud 1.5 Ti
78 GTV
86 75 2.5

Current
79 GTV
79 Alfetta