Repairing a broken gtv door handle - DIY

Started by jazig.k, August 05, 2019, 08:03:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jazig.k

Another simple job to DIY knocked over. So first things first, anyone have a pair of cheap, similarly broken black door handles they want to sell me? I'm not a fan of the blue blue handles...

My drivers door handle was lifting out when you tried to open the door. It required 2 hands to open it, one for pushing the handle back in and the other to pull the lever.

I remember it being a common problem and winced at the price some of the ebay handles seem to be asking, so I was determined to fix it one way or another. After all, it was a scrap handle that wouldn't pass roadworthy as-is.

Image one, two and three... The handle removed. As you see, the threaded inserts have broken out. I'll blame this on over tightening when someone grabbed their 10mm 1/2 drive and "nipped" them up... the plastic was squished under the thread post and back bracket and was a mission to get the nut undone. But image 3 shows that the plastic is old and fatigued anyway in the one remaining post, and a good pull on the handle, maybe a bit too much, will break the handles too I suspect.

jazig.k

Image 1 - Take your 4mm drill, a little elec tape and prepare to decline your invite from next years pebble beach!

Image 2 and 3 - drill 2 new holes and tap them M5.

Image 4 -  refit, with 1 M5 washer and one M6 washer to make up for the hole size of the bracket. I figured I'd go M5 so if the threads pull out, I'll tap them M6 and loctite a stud in, but it seems fine. Don't use your 1/2" and breaker bar. These just need to be nipped a fraction more than finger tight.

Easy. And a whole lot cheaper than new/used door handles.

jazig.k

Oh, I should mention that keep the drill depth limited. 15mm seemed fair because it had a good bit of thread to engage but those plastic posts I drilled into are solid. if you feel it go through, likely you now have holes on the outer of the handle too which you need to plug up and dress.

aflp

nice job  8)

i have a few door handles for sale of various condition if you after some spare parts