Overheating 156

Started by 75guygtvgirl, July 24, 2019, 06:24:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

75guygtvgirl

Hi everyone my 156 ts is having some weird overheating issues. I can run it in the driveway for 40 minutes and the temp gauge will hit 90 then the fan comes on and it drops. If I take the car for a run the temp gauge stays at 50 as if it's not even working. But wait for it. If I take the car for a 20 minute drive and then stop for 5/10 minutes the car boils over. I'm assuming it's the thermostat but I wanted to ask some opinions? Thanks in advance

bazzbazz

Replace thermostat first, then see how it goes.

In addition, when were the belts last changed, and was the water pump changed at the same time.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

75guygtvgirl

Yeah belts and water pump etc were replaced 12 months ago. I got two days driving out of it before it cooked itself. Pretty annoying that the mechanic didn't pick up on anything but it's ok.

Beatle

??????   
So it was working fine
you took it to a mechanic for a service, including waterpump and thermostat,
and two days later it boiled?

In my world that's not 'ok'.

Did you take it back to the mechanic?
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd
'04 GT 3.2 Rosso/Tan - Glorious
'02 156 V6 Auto Rosso/Tan - Useful daily

75guygtvgirl

I can't confirm it was ok to begin with. I bought it with an engine noise. Took it to the mechanic and discovered the timing belt was way overdue and even moving around. So I literally picked it up and drove straight to the mechanic. After I picked it up all seemed fine and I assumed it was just the gauge that was faulty until it actually boiled

bazzbazz

So, you got the belts done, drove it home, it sat for 12 months, you drove it for 2 days and it boiled? Have we got that right?

Perchance did you check the coolant level at any time since the belts were done? If not the mech may not have refilled the coolant after replacing the pump.
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

75guygtvgirl

No it boiled two days after the work was done which was 12 months ago

bonno

Can I suggest that you check that the following occurs, bearing in mind no blown head gasket
1.   Check engine coolant level is OK (top up if necessary).
2.   Check temperature gauge rises to around mid range after warm up and stays there with cooling fan coming on. If not then you have a faulty thermostat.

75guygtvgirl

I'm 99% sure head gasket is blown. Coolant level is fine and I can run the car in the driveway for a good 40+ minutes with no issues

75guygtvgirl

I've put a bottle of rislone head gasket repair in the car

bazzbazz

Take the oil filler cap off, is there any white goo built up on the cap or inside the filler hole?

Any indication of water in the oil on the dipstick?
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

75guygtvgirl

Yeah there's water in the oil and vice versa. I just want to get it running well enough so I can drive it to get mods done like suspension and exhaust. Once that engine finally dies a horrible death I've got a fully rebuilt engine to put in. It looks like the head gasket repair has certainly improved the the issues now I just need to sort the overheating