Alfetta - LED H1 bulb conversion

Started by kartone, May 26, 2019, 05:26:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kartone

The heat generated by the extra bright halogen bulb has deteriorated the reflector in the headlight units.
Purchased new complete Carello light units, has anyone installed LED H1 (fan or fanless) bulbs?
If so , where to buy.  Many thanks.   
82 GTV6 split-dash
80 Alfetta GTV

V AR 164

Hi there,

I haven't used LED headlights before but I have installed a H1 HID kit into the headlights on the 164Q.

I bought the kit from jaycar for around 60 bucks and had them in my car for around 2 years now. Not one single issue and the light output is far superior to my standard halogens I had before. I also want to say they are brighter than my mates LED headlights on his Lancer he bought from a reputable company.

I was able to do this because I upgraded to the later Bosch style lights with projector lights instead of the standard reflector style. The projectors are specifically designed to have a sharp cut off line to stop blinding oncoming traffic, reflector style lights don't have this and rely on a metal cut off shield in the globe itself (H4 globe). If you install LED's or HID's in a reflector style light, you will blind oncoming traffic.

https://www.jaycar.com.au/h1-slim-ballast-hid-kit-12v-6000k/p/SL3490

Andrew.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

V AR 164

I'm talking about LED's or HID's in reflector headlights, both of which when installed into projectors are fine.

My experience with LED lights consists of vy commo's with red p plates driving towards me on the other side of the road and I literally go blind cause I can't see anything. LED's scatter the light the same as HID's do the same as Halogens do. Unless there is something to cut off the beam of light, you will shine light directly into oncoming traffic, regardless if you drive a miata or patrol.

Either use projectors, retrofit new RHD specific led lights or use conventional H4 globes.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

Citroënbender

Sportiva, sounds like you need a quad array of KC Daylighters that only pop up in response to rubbish oncoming headlights.  :)

As to the original post, I've had good dealings with Stedi, it has been six months though (I note this timeline as such a business can sour rapidly). They were accurate and quick. Gave a feeling of not "sell, sell, sell" but trying to build customer loyalty.

GTVeloce

I have LED bulbs in my Alfetta GTV. Definitely better than standard but not quite as good as an improved standard. The light is not as defined and while I have been told mine do not dazzle on-coming cars, they don't really project onto the road either. Occasionally one won't fire up immediately and I have to turn them off and back on again. I usually check they are both working by looking at the car in front and making sure I see two reflected lights. I am running these in conjunction with relays.

You are welcome to swing by and check them out if that helps - I'm in Surrey Hills and from memory you are out this way.

My old GTV had upgraded wiring, relays and upgraded bulbs (still 55/60 but the Phillips Plus 100s). In the time I had it there was no degradation in the lights themselves and they provided a better light than the LEDs.

Perhaps if you had lights that worked better with these bulbs (like the 164 projector lights) it might be a good upgrade but personally I am going to revert back once I get organised enough!

kartone

GTVeloce and Sportiva is the LED bulb you installed fan or fanless?
82 GTV6 split-dash
80 Alfetta GTV

kartone

GTVeloce and Sportiva I'm evaluating to either install Mesllin X3 LUXEON ZES LED with Philips Lumileds LED Chips and Aviation Aluminium 7 heatsink or other similar, any advice?
82 GTV6 split-dash
80 Alfetta GTV

GTVeloce

I don't recall them having a fan but I'm a little hazy on that. They do have an external module that had to be installed near the lights as well if that helps.

Citroënbender

The Mesllin product is cheap, that flags it for me as a likely source of disappointment. I haven't seen a reputable retrofit LED kit under $120/pr. My automotive sparky mate has retrofit (passive) H4s in his work van and they ran a bit more again.

From memory you're in Melbourne, it's worth asking these chaps would they do a cash refund if not satisfied:

https://www.stedi.com.au/copper-head-h1-led-head-light-conversion-kit.html

kartone

citroenbender, thanks for your suggestion but I'm only considering fanless and without belts (braids) LEDs, that is with a solid heatsink; I'm evaluating a Philips product that has a good chipset and solid heat sink 
82 GTV6 split-dash
80 Alfetta GTV

melissaward

issue with Drove projector headlights in SUV "security wagons" is they anticipate white light straight into the eyes of drivers of games and additionally little autos and any undulation in the street has the impact of glimmering the approaching driver on different occasions relying upon the street surface. We needn't bother with projectors headlights for the low pillar and city driving. Delicate light for the city brilliant lights open street.

poohbah

Late to the party here, but interested - how much did the Carellos cost Kartone? I was recently quoted quoted well over $200  per lamp here in Perth, which seems like a lot. (It was either $230 or $280, but can't recall as I was in shock).
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

kartone

the carello reproduction headlights purchased from a reputable UK supplier were approx AUD52 each.
the conversion to LED (fanless & braidless) has been very successful; tried loading photos of details, but too large to post!
82 GTV6 split-dash
80 Alfetta GTV

poohbah

Cheers Kartone, what was the brand, and UK supplier? Sounds like a good option. I presume they include parking light elements/connections?
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)