point me in the right direction?

Started by Mat Francis, October 30, 2008, 08:58:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mat Francis

After seeing a few Alfetta's running around without bumpers, the look tickles my fancy. First question, presuming i correctly remount all electrics housed in the bumpers, will the car still be roadworthy?

The Vicroads roadworthiness requirements state

"Bumper bars and bull bars, where fitted, must be secure and designed to eliminate sharp corners or protrusions which might cause injury to other road users. they must not obscure and lamps, unless additional lamps are fitter, and must not substantially exceed normal width of the vehicle body. ADRs and vicroads information sheets cover visibilty angles of lamps. ends of bumper bars must turn towards the body to a sufficient extent to avoid any risk of hooking or grazing."

does this mean i can just remove them and not be breaking any rules? any help appreciated.
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

Sheldon McIntosh

They don't even look at competition cars on the way to the track, so don't worry about it.   ;)

From what I read of your quote there, there's a few grammatical mistakes which I'm guessing are yours rather than Vicroads, and makes it a bit difficult to make a definitive statement (is there something missing after '...must not obscure....')?  But apart from that, I think the phrase 'where fitted' is the one to concentrate on and point out to the friendly officer when you get pulled over.

GTAM1

I've been driving my 105 without bumpers regularly on the roads for the past 7 years without drama. Provided your not driving like an idiot and everything looks neat and tidy you won't be bothered.
They'll happily slap a canary on bumperless VL Commodore Turbo with a truck intercooler fitted though! Thankfully. 

Mat Francis

thanks Sheldon, on re-reading there are indeed a lot of mistakes. so i'll try again now i'm not in a rush.

"Bumper bars and bull bars, where fitted, must be secure and designed to eliminate sharp corners or protrusions which might cause injury to other road users. They must not obscure any lamps, unless additional lamps are fitted, and must not substantially exceed the normal width of the vehicle body. ADRs and VICROADS information sheets cover visibility angles of lamps. Ends of bumper bars must turn towards the body to a sufficient extent to avoid any risk of hooking or grazing."

hopefully i'll get round to it if i get a free afternoon or two. when i get the car back this is!
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

Fast Eddie

A lot of Alfa's look quite racy sans bumpers methinks, 105 and 116 series especially.
Now -
nuffin
Then -
76 Sud L 1.3
85 33 1.5
00 156 Selespeed
77 Alfetta GTV - Group S project - "yellow peril"
86 SudSprint 1.5 - clubsprint car
77 Alfetta GTV - Tarmac rally/Group S
03 156GTA 3.2 manual
80 Alfetta GTV
07 166 -3.0 Ti.
86 GTV6

Scott Farquharson

Metal bumper cars are not going to be a problem - plastic bumpers with indicators etc may be more difficult
Scott Farquharson
Group A Dulux Alfetta GTV6
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

Mat Francis

sorry to be young and ill-informed Ed, but sans bumpers? no bumpers?

It is unfortunately a plastic bumper, however the plan was to maybe use one of the spare front panels i have, (could even practice on the one i ruined at sandown if i get it back), and just cut holes to accomodate indicators. number plate is easy enough, just drill two holes.
There are already a lot of vents in the panel, so could just "expand" a few of them maybe?
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

Fast Eddie

yeah i was just being a smarta..e  sans = latin for nil.

I took the plastic bumpers of the sprint (i.e. Brad's "mongrel") and bought a set of trailer indicators that i attached to the front grill using existing holes, gaps and cable-tied the rego plate on and never got pinged in VIC.
Now -
nuffin
Then -
76 Sud L 1.3
85 33 1.5
00 156 Selespeed
77 Alfetta GTV - Group S project - "yellow peril"
86 SudSprint 1.5 - clubsprint car
77 Alfetta GTV - Tarmac rally/Group S
03 156GTA 3.2 manual
80 Alfetta GTV
07 166 -3.0 Ti.
86 GTV6

Mat Francis

mmm, cable ties sound much better than marking it out, grinding out holes, welding metal back in when i stuff it up, then finally getting it right. thanks muchly  ;D
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

Sheldon McIntosh

Yeah, you gotta do it, those Team NSW Alfettas at the 6 hour looked suhweeet.

Don't forget though, it's body lightening, so you won't be able to run in Standard Class.  I suppose you could just drive it to the track and reattach bumpers.....

pep105

I dont think it will be an issue if you relocate the indicators and front number plate. (at least thats what you can tell the  cops)

The styling looks complete without bumpers, the front and rear valence is intergrated and flush with the body work and the bumpers add on and protrude unlike other cars that have cut outs or indentations to allow for bumpers. Thats probably why the car looks good and doesnt attract the wrong type of attention without bumpers. Apart from that the Alfetta sedan looks tough without them ditto the 116 GTV and 105 and gives a hard arsed race look

Ive taken them off my 105 and theyre not going back on, also cause the bumpers are shagged and make the car look rough. Touch wood never been pinged as well
Current
'74 GT 1600 Junior  (Currently under restoration)
'84 Alfetta GCL Sedan
'02 Vespa ET4 150
'05 GT 3.2
Past
'82 Fiat 131 Superbrava Mk II
'82 Alfetta GTV 2.0
'88 75 Twinspark
'80 Alfetta Sedan
'02 147 Twinspark

Mat Francis

QuoteI suppose you could just drive it to the track and reattach bumpers.....

R Type tyres, bigger exhaust and negative camber my good man, they wouldn't have me anyway!

Judging by the unanimous support, i don't really have a choice in the matter!

Off to see what sort of indicators i can pick up for FA right now  ;D
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

Mat Francis

had a day off work today and finally got around to actually doing it. front end anyway. back end has to wait until it gets straightened out a bit first.
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

Alan Hopla

Mat,
I thought the altercation at the rear would have prompted the removal of that bar!
It seems though that you chose to work at the pretty end.

See you at the Island.
Alan.
Alan Hopla
77' 116GTV
83' 116GTV TwinSpark
04' GT 3.2 V6, Stromboli Grey

Mat Francis

thought i'd try and give everyone a nice view to look at in the rear view mirror as they fly past me. also, the rear bumper sort of kind of covers where it's been punched in, so il wait until i can get it sorted till i take on the rear end i think.
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie