Steering rack maintenance

Started by kartone, April 04, 2019, 10:20:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kartone

finally have access to the steering rack, what maintenance can I perform without remove it from the vehicle?
what is the grease grade used? many thanks for the assistance 
82 GTV6 split-dash
80 Alfetta GTV

kartone

... forgot, it's a 1980 alfetta GTV!
82 GTV6 split-dash
80 Alfetta GTV

GTVeloce

When you say access, do you mean the engine is out? If so, it really isn't hard now to take the rack out completely and give it a proper birthday. I have a disassembled rack in my garage if you want to see how they go together before disassembling your own but they are quite straight forward (talking non-PS here).

Otherwise you can do a little work by removing the rubber boots and turning the wheel all the way exposing as much of the rack as possible. Clean and regrease. Then repeat on the other side. Check the bolts holding the rack down are torqued correctly, the inner and outer tie rod ends are sound and the boots are tear free. Finally, check for any play or looseness in the connections of the uni joint where it meets the rack.

I can't remember what grease I used last time but from memory it wasn't anything special (white lithium grease rings a bell).

kartone

Thanks GTVeloce. Yes, engine out. CV joints in good shape, rack fastening bolts torque OK and boots in good condition.
I'm still planning to replace as much old grease as possible with new grease.
82 GTV6 split-dash
80 Alfetta GTV