Diff whine???

Started by xitsurf, March 26, 2019, 09:07:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xitsurf

Hello ,
i have a 1750 s2 coupe that has a very high pitched whine that starts at about 70 kmhr ( quiet whine )and gets louder and more high pitched the faster you go. ( annoying at high acceleration)
Coming from rear. no vibrations, not worse round corners etc.
  could this be diff?
oh yeah,  oil level is ok ( although there is a leak)-  unsure of oil type though.
cheers

gebe1

Can you give us a bit more information. For example, does the whine become prominent on a trailing throttle or does it go away? Cheers
73 Alfa Spider veloce
67 Alfa Guilia Super (past)
69 Alfa 1750 GTV (past)
74 Alfa Berlina 2000A (past)
77 Alfa GTV 2000 (past)

xitsurf

Disappears on deceleration. diminishes on cruising- and increases as you accelerate.

gebe1

Sounds like it might be the diff, however, have you also checked your wheel bearings?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
73 Alfa Spider veloce
69 Alfa 1750 GTV (past)
77 Alfa GTV 2000 (past)

gebe1

I would suggest going to a diff expert and do a test drive. As far as oils go, I use redline 75w90 ns GL5 oil in my 73 2000 with limited slip diff. Do some research on the Alfa forums for opinions.

73 Alfa Spider veloce
69 Alfa 1750 GTV (past)
77 Alfa GTV 2000 (past)

bazzbazz

When was the last time the oil level in the diff was checked?
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

xitsurf

oil level is ok, i checked that first, but it may not have redline in it ( i know this is the recommended but cant imagine it could stop this noise!)
   Wheel bearing , appear nice and tight, noise does not get worse when cornering. ( i wish it was a bearing).

if it is diff i may be looking for a reconditioned one if there are any out there?
cheers

Craig_m67

Quote from: xitsurf on March 26, 2019, 12:22:27 PM
oil level is ok, i checked that first, but it may not have redline in it ( i know this is the recommended but cant imagine it could stop this noise!)
   Wheel bearing , appear nice and tight, noise does not get worse when cornering. ( i wish it was a bearing).

if it is diff i may be looking for a reconditioned one if there are any out there?
cheers

I don't believe you will find a reconditioned diff, especially in Tasmania, that you can have delivered to you affordably.  Best to find a good diff/transmission shop locally and have them check and quote for service/recondition.

It's a diff.  There is very little diff between diffs.

That said, is it LSD or std?
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

gebe1

I have seen a couple of reconditioned and secondhand diffs recently on gumtree. They don't cost a lot to ship. I'm assuming yours is not LSD as you have a 1750. They are a bit easier to source. I still would recondition in preference as you will know where you really stand and probably keep the car original as possible. Start at a diff shop. Good luck

73 Alfa Spider veloce
69 Alfa 1750 GTV (past)
77 Alfa GTV 2000 (past)

Craig_m67

Quote from: gebe1 on March 26, 2019, 05:08:39 PM
I have seen a couple of reconditioned and secondhand diffs recently on gumtree. They don't cost a lot to ship. I'm assuming yours is not LSD as you have a 1750. They are a bit easier to source. I still would recondition in preference as you will know where you really stand and probably keep the car original as possible. Start at a diff shop. Good luck

Really (nosarcasm intended)?
I'm about to recondition two standard ones and perhaps rebuild a mongeral LSD. 
If it was recently on gumtree and you have the links lemme know.
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

gebe1

Quote from: Craig_m67 on March 26, 2019, 08:17:33 PM
Quote from: gebe1 on March 26, 2019, 05:08:39 PM

Really (nosarcasm intended)?
I'm about to recondition two standard ones and perhaps rebuild a mongeral LSD. 
If it was recently on gumtree and you have the links lemme know.
Yes, Really! And as you know they don't last long, so links disappear. I suggest you set alerts and make the search Australia wide.

73 Alfa Spider veloce
69 Alfa 1750 GTV (past)
77 Alfa GTV 2000 (past)

xitsurf

Also I have monitored most sites for reconditioned with none found, but yes they sell quick!!!
  mine is standard not lsd
  Anyone selling one let me know.
Otherwise a diff shop will help me i suppose.
  freight easy to sort out on my end.
  cheers