Rear parcel shelf rattle

Started by Campbeli, March 10, 2019, 08:04:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Campbeli

I had the rear parcel shelf recovered, and since then it bags and rattles over every bump. The problem seems to be where it meets the glass where it seems to be free to move up and down and bang against the metal tray.
I've seen on eBay a rear parcel shelf trim.
Is this something that would secure the parcel shelf?
Or is there some other fix?

All advice greatly appreciated .

Neil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Present:
1970 GT Junior
2004 147 T Spark

Past:
1979 Alfetta GT
1978 Alfasud ti
1999 156 T spark

Future:
New Giulia.......

LaStregaNera

There's 3 metal clips that are supposed to be riveted to the trimmed shelf to clip the shelf to the structure - this should stop it rattling.
The trim piece you've found on Ebay should be held to the edge of the parcel shelf with split rivets (They're a pain because the heads have to be under the vinyl, and so are installed before trimming) - I assume it's disappeared from the car at some point in it's history.
If there are speakers hung from the parcel shelf, this can make it bang over bumps even when everything is properly in place.
66 GT Veloce
Bimota SB6

Campbeli

Thanks !
The rattle and banging of the shelf wasn't too bad until I had the shelf recovered.
I do have a pair of large speakers in the shelf too and that also now seems to be a problem. 

I think I might have to ditch the speakers and listen to Alfa music instead.

Present:
1970 GT Junior
2004 147 T Spark

Past:
1979 Alfetta GT
1978 Alfasud ti
1999 156 T spark

Future:
New Giulia.......

Campbeli

Looks like a do have the trim piece, it's fitted to the parcel shelf board but the heads of the spilt pins are visible on the vinyl side. Not sure if that is significant.
But I'm yet to locates the three clips.

Present:
1970 GT Junior
2004 147 T Spark

Past:
1979 Alfetta GT
1978 Alfasud ti
1999 156 T spark

Future:
New Giulia.......

LaStregaNera

I'd guess the trimmer lost the clips. I'll try to get a photo of them for you this evening.
66 GT Veloce
Bimota SB6

Campbeli

Cool - thanks

Present:
1970 GT Junior
2004 147 T Spark

Past:
1979 Alfetta GT
1978 Alfasud ti
1999 156 T spark

Future:
New Giulia.......

aggie57

and the three 'clips' are supposed to have a plastic sleeve around the part that fits under the structure, so that there is no metal to metal contact.  Picture would tell a thousand words here.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

Campbeli

Looks like these clips will be made of the customary unobtainium.
So yeah, a pic would be great if anyone has their rear parcel shelf out at the moment?

Present:
1970 GT Junior
2004 147 T Spark

Past:
1979 Alfetta GT
1978 Alfasud ti
1999 156 T spark

Future:
New Giulia.......

LaStregaNera

Crap. sorry, forgot to snap a picture, will try again tonight. Been a little distracted with having a motorbike part clearout.
66 GT Veloce
Bimota SB6

LaStregaNera

Here's the 3 clips.
66 GT Veloce
Bimota SB6

Campbeli

Thanks for the photos.
I don't remember having these clips before the car when to the motor trimmer, and I don't think my parcel shelf board is original either.
Are the clips just screwed to the board, no connection to the metal trim piece on the board?

Present:
1970 GT Junior
2004 147 T Spark

Past:
1979 Alfetta GT
1978 Alfasud ti
1999 156 T spark

Future:
New Giulia.......

Citroënbender

You can see they're held on with pops, presumably each of the three holes in the trim piece indexes with one of the two fixing holes in each clip.

LaStregaNera

Quote from: Citroënbender on April 04, 2019, 10:07:22 PM
You can see they're held on with pops, presumably each of the three holes in the trim piece indexes with one of the two fixing holes in each clip.

Nope, they're not remotely near the trim piece. Just pop rivetted in place.
My parcel shelf board is probably 3 or 4 times replaced, I did the most recent job on it - dummied it all up before applying the vinyl to make sure everything sat in the right spots.
66 GT Veloce
Bimota SB6

alfagtv100 (Biggus)

My parcel shelf used to squeak whenever I rode over bumps.
I used heat-shrink on the hooks to dull the metal on metal noise.
Running speakers on the shelf (which would bounce and create noise on rough roads), I used a few squares of thin (about 1cm thick) 'sponge' between the parcel shelf and body.
A crude solution which worked for me.
Marco Leoncelli
2017 Giulia. Yeah, baby.
1971 1750 GTV Coupe Series II
Past: 2008 159 Ti V6 3.2, RenaultSport Clio 182 (smuf blue).

Paul Byrne

In the rally car we use velcro patches suitably distributed. Seems to have plenty of grip---but no speakers fitted and panel material is not original!
74 GTV 2000 tarmac rally
75 Spider
EX 51 Jowett Jupiter