Who knew Spider bonnets were made of fibreglass?

Started by cc, January 09, 2019, 08:18:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cc

inside

bazzbazz

Wouldn't you be better off getting a 2nd hand bonnet from a wreckers? At least you know it will be straight and have no problems with it.

Angelo at APF Motors has a couple of 916 spiders for wrecking, give him a call and see what price he'd do you one for -0419 721 853.

There is also A1 Auto Parts at Willawong - 3278 8824. I am sure they have a spider or two there.

On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

poohbah

Bit of polish - that'll buff out! ;D

Seriously though, pretty sure a decent fibreglass repairer could fix that without too much drama. Unless you think you can source an undamaged one for less -  I just saw a silver 916 GTV (2003) bonnet on fleabay.com.au for $350 in Victoria.

So maybe worth getting a quote for repair.

www.ebay.com.au/itm/ALFA-ROMEO-916-GTV-USED-BONNET-HOOD-SILVER-612A-GRILL-BADGE-SPIDER-03-/122458037116?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

cc

Another hot day in Brisbane and the pace has been a cracker!
Completely forgot Brett was coming to drain the air con on the spider. Fortunately he arrived early as we were locking the door on the way to a wrecker to collect some parts.
He needed 240v to to do the job which takes about 10 minutes. He said venting the gas to atmosphere is equivalent to a tonne of CO2 being produced. Cant have that..
He also recommended replacing the filtery canister thingy. To replace the refrigerant is going to cost $170. My response to any ambit cost is usually holy F! Just to see the response of the quoter. Brett handled this with aplomb.
At the wreckers we didn't haggle on price and put in the back of the hire ute, a bonnet and bumper off a April 1998 V6 Gtv for $400.
The bonnets clear clear coat peeling like a 2 day old sun burn.The bumper is in good nick. Interestingly there is a red stripe in the bumper not seen on the original bumper off the June 1998 2.0L spider.

cc

bazzbazz

Quote from: cc on February 01, 2019, 10:21:03 PM
He also recommended replacing the filtery canister thingy.

That would be the Drier, it removes moisture from the system, and yes, on a car of that age it should be replaced.

Quote from: cc on February 01, 2019, 10:21:03 PM
To replace the refrigerant is going to cost $170. My response to any ambit cost is usually holy F! Just to see the response of the quoter. Brett handled this with aplomb.

So you were happy with $170 or not?  ???

I gather by the pics you went to A1 at Willowong for the parts?
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

cc

Well spotted on the location of the donor Gtv. : )
Re the cost of re gassing, don't know if $170 is over the top.

Might ask for a quote out of curiosity on repairing the original bonnet.
Altho if the cost of a re spray is included would it be cheaper than the $200 parts bonnet..
We were v lucky to get the parts we did. As they are colour matched and only 3 months apart on the 1998 production line.

A few more parts to get..

cc

To keep the cost down on the repair and a curiosity with all things Alfa the motor is coming out before it goes to the panel beater.
Have spoken to an alfa mechanic and it wont be a gimme as it is best removed from below. Im wondering how high the front of the car has to be To allow sufficient room, once the motor is on the ground (trolley), to roll it out from underneath.
Has anyone done this before?

cc

Just like Christmas : )
getting ready for a service once the engine is out.

cc

Hi
The spider will be going off to the panelbeaters in the next couple of weeks.
Just had an idle thought.. Can an engine be left without coolant and not have the head gasket be affected.
Should i put some bungs in and fill it while the new radiator isnt on it. Or can an engine be left dry without harm...
cheers

Citroënbender

Rinse the empty jacket well and try to get some natural heat in it so that drying can continue. Then it should be fine.

Caveat: Fifteen year old head gasket on unknown car, be willing to accept other outcomes.

cc

The spider has been at the repair shop now for ten days and some pretty good work is being done.
The donor front rail, see pic, has been pulled apart and welded into place after the front passenger chassis rail had been straightened to millimetre positional accuracy. One of the bonnet latch and radiator support brackets has also been taken off the donor part and attached.

Positioning the engine back in place when the car is back may be tricky. So am thinking about the design for a steel cradle to sit the engine in that can then be raised by 3 screws. Like the screw drive on the most cars jacks. One screw per side at the front engine mounts, then another screw to rack it from side to side.

While the engine is out will have an auto sparkie check the alternator and starter motor. There was some oil around the steering rack so the seals in the bellows may be leaking.

Citroënbender

If the rack end seals are leaking the gaiters will be swollen with power steering fluid.

It's highly uncommon in a ZF built rack in Australian conditions. More likely the engine is leaking oil onto the rack.

cas155

I found out the morning after I bought mine as a daily driver...

Yep you guess it straight up the back of some lady [emoji22][emoji174]

I eventually repaired it all only for it to end up like this... had to have it professionally straightened as it bent the frame

cc