1978 Alfetta GTV radio antenna

Started by mozo, November 28, 2018, 10:56:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mozo

Greetings all,

I have a January 1978 Alfetta GTV which is in reasonable to quite good nick, that is probably going to be re-sprayed and repaired soon. My question is: on the passenger side rear, just below the 'GTV' quarter vent, is a hole that houses the radio antenna (not that I have a radio fitted as yet). I was wondering if this was standard, as I have not seen any photos yet that look similar, and if it's not, before I go to the bodyworks, should I get the hole filled/patched and a stick on windscreen style antenna installed?

Does anybody have any experience with this?

Cheers,

Todd.
1978 Alfetta GTV :-)
1986 Alfa 33 - Sold, then caught fire!

aggie57

When they were new dealers fitted the radios including the antenna. They put them in various places but this was a petty common spot.

The windscreen ones didn't appear until the GTV6 arrived, along with standard fit radios put in by the local distributor before the cars where shipped to dealers.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

poohbah

For what its worth my GTV has the the antenna on the rear quarter panel too. Gotta put it somewhere.

Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

bonno

Hi Todd
Very rare now days to see a radio aerial fitted to the rear quarter passenger side of an Alfetta GTV, the centre roof or rear screen location is the most common. Whatever you decide on, you will need to make provision when carrying out the planned bodywork/respray, which you need to factor in cost for built in aerial on rear screen, associated wiring and labour. However a simple and more cost effective option is to install a discrete stick on DAB aerial on the front screen, wired along the A pillar (refer to Youtube video attached).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h2f48mb3Wk
cheers
bonno

mozo

Thank you guys, much appreciated. I'm inclined to fill the hole and fit a front windscreen antenna. If it wasn't an original factory location then it doesn't matter too much. If it was, then I would have definitely tried to leave it original. Much appreciated. Cheers.
1978 Alfetta GTV :-)
1986 Alfa 33 - Sold, then caught fire!