windscreen replacement query

Started by poohbah, November 12, 2018, 01:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poohbah

Folks, basic question here.

Took the 156 out bush to a country event on the weekend - fantastic 700km round trip, she never missed a beat.

But... just before I arrived at my destination, I got stuck behind a road train and copped a big stone in the windscreen. Long story short, she's now got a big (and growing) crack and screen  is going to be replaced.

No problems really on that front (all covered by insurance), except I'm puzzled by the windscreen rep, who said if the wipers need to be replaced when they do the screen, they can do it and I can pay them myself for that separately.

Why the hell would they need to replace the wipers - unless they don't know how to get the screen out without the damaging the wipers? (God knows why)

So my intention then is to remove the wipers myself before I take it in for replacement (they have to ship screen over from Sydney).

Anyway, my question is - should I remove the scuttle panel as well to make it easier for them to remove the screen?
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

bazzbazz

Can't hurt, at least you know they wont get cracked or broken in the process if you do it yourself.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Citroënbender

Anything you think might be damaged by a muppet, remove. And don't forget your "prior condition" photography.

poohbah

Cheers fellas, and good idea re "before" photos.

Betcha they "forget" to remove and re-attach rear view mirror.
            1981 GTV

poohbah

I'm going to have plenty of time to prepare. Can't get a screen here for two weeks!
            1981 GTV

Citroënbender

Most screen trims ("seals") are single use only, unless the fitter is really careful it will get sliced up and this compromises water drain paths designed into the back.

Make sure the arrangement includes a new OEM seal not off-the-roll extrusion.

I regard windscreen fitters as slightly ahead of exhaust shops in their surprising, yet consistent, ability to disappoint.

bazzbazz

While you have the Scuttle Panels off may I suggest replacing the Cabin Air Filter, unless you have personally replaced it yourself at sometime, I can guarantee it will not have been done for ages and will be more akin to a clay brick.
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

Citroënbender

Good point, maybe excellent time to remove the headlining and have it re-trimmed as well.

poohbah

Cheers guys, good idea to change the filter, and I will inquire about the seal when they come back to me with more precise timing of job. Nothing wrong my headlining, still clean and tight as a drum.

Replacement is being done by O'Brien's so one would hope they can do a proper job (any professional opinion Bazz?). 

As a national one-for-all provider, I bet that "off the roll" extrusion is exactly what they generally do.

They claim "Our workmanship is guaranteed for the life of the vehicle we fix. " Might double check the fine print on that...
            1981 GTV

poohbah

Just checked parts online, re the cabin filter - Repco lists two types as suitable. A single piece filter (RCF604) and a "twin panel" filter (RCF534).

How does that make any sense? While height of each is about the same 29mm v 31.5mm, the single panel is 115mm longer (290mm) and 35.5mm thinner (160mm).

Any ideas which is correct?

Ah - just looked again. I gather the twin panel is for the AC filter under the dash.
            1981 GTV

bazzbazz

Yes & No, the twin panels are installed under the passenger side dash, but it are for facelift cars only.

Yours uses the single panel unit and is installed under the passenger Scuttle Panel.
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

bazzbazz

Quote from: poohbah on November 12, 2018, 05:37:46 PM
Replacement is being done by O'Brien's so one would hope they can do a proper job (any professional opinion Bazz?). 

Well they'll probably do a better job than I can, but I don't know if that's much of a recommendation?
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

poohbah

Thanks Bazz, good to know.

Re O'Brien's, I imagine they are basically a parent franchisor with multiple franchisees, so quality of service would depend entirely on the record of the individual outlet.
            1981 GTV

As the day goes

If there are any outside trim bits that attach by glue to the rubber seal, I would suggest you get new ones too, besides the OEM seal.

Citroënbender

Many replacement screens come with mirror and rain sensor brackets premounted, so that's one less worry.

Be interested to know if it's old stock PGI coming or a new XYG screen.