Rocker gaskets

Started by 105junior, October 07, 2018, 03:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

105junior

What's the service life of the 24v rocker gaskets? Mine were replaced 2yrs ago and they've been leaking for nearly a year now
72 GT 1600 junior with 2L transplant
73 spider Veloce
04 GT 3.2

johnl

I don't know, and it seems no-one else does either (or maybe it's a secret...).

My TS engine developed a premature minor cam cover leak after maybe a year or so (from the gasket being new). It's not the same specific application, but it's probably a similar style of rubber gasket (?). Anyway, I stopped the leak by removing the gasket and painting it (and the grooves etc in which it sits) with a non hardening gasket sealant, in this case 'Aviation Gasket No3' (one of my favourites). Leaking stopped.

Regards,
John.

bonno

I am aware of Shelf life, as distinct to Service life requirements and my guess is that Service Life is subject to many factors that would attribute to premature failure and as such car warranty periods is a good rule of thumb (3 years or 60K).  As John indicated to get the best possible result it is imperative that the mating surfaces are properly cleaned and the use of recommended sealing products only be used.  For those interested I have attached a link to a paper on the study on Service life of rubber products.
http://www.ardl.com/sites/default/files/docs/papers/service_life_prediction_of_rubber_parts_used_in_engineering_applications_-_case_studies.pdf

bazzbazz

Quote from: 105junior on October 07, 2018, 03:52:32 PM
What's the service life of the 24v rocker gaskets? Mine were replaced 2yrs ago and they've been leaking for nearly a year now

If fitted properly they should bloody well last longer than 12 months!

As mentioned above, if the mating surface is not cleaned properly brand new ones will leak.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

105junior

Thanks everyone, so if I was to remove the existing gasket thoroughly clean the area and gasket and refit them using a recommended sealant it should work?
72 GT 1600 junior with 2L transplant
73 spider Veloce
04 GT 3.2

bazzbazz

On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au