159 windscreen wiper problem

Started by oz3litre, September 27, 2018, 12:16:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oz3litre

The intermittent wiper function on our 2010 TBI sedan doesn't work. It will give one swipe when switching on or through the different delay settings, but that is all. The always on speeds and washer functions work perfectly and it parks correctly. It seems to my mechanics and I that it could be a faulty relay. The problem is we cant find where it is. The owners manual is no help. Do any of you guys know where the wiper relay is located on these cars?
2010 159 ti TBI. Red. Wife's daily driver.
2013 Giulietta Sportiva 1.4 MA. Anthracite Metalic  My daily driver.
2009 Mito Sport 1.4 TBI. Red. Daughter's daily driver.
1999 GTV V6. Black. Son's daily driver.

Citroënbender

Wipers are usually driven via the body computer, if so there will typically be a three wire connector to the motor and reduction gear assembly - one current, one earth and one modulated ground signal to indicate parking position.

For all other settings to work, you must have integrity in these domains. A diagnostic session will show if the stalk is working correctly by showing position selected.

Does it have a rain sensor and the windscreen is original?

oz3litre

It does have rain sensor, but the windscreen was replaced by the dealer I bought the car from.

V AR 164

I have heard people have issues when the rain sensor's get condensation in them. Possibly yours have some moisture trapped between the windscreen and the sensor?

I could be wrong, but that's what I would check for first if you haven't already.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

oz3litre

It's the intermittent delay setting on the switch that doesn't work. The first position normally activates the delay but it only does one swipe and no more.

Citroënbender

Assuming no significant skullduggery (eg, complete change of dash cluster, ECU, body computer) and also assuming - although not stated - the wipers have not worked per the handbook ever in your stewardship, it's likely a rain sensor fitment issue.

oz3litre

Thanks. How can I tell, a: that the windscreen is correct for the rain sensor and, b: if the sensor is fitted properly?

Citroënbender

First is to make sure you've correctly grasped the handbook instructions for wiper settings.

Once you're confident with that the visual checks for a rain sensor are that there should be no visible aspect when looking through the clear gel pad into the sensor from outside (eg, you can't see a distinct "layer" or film there), and in night conditions there is a super-dim glow from the sensor which can be observed outside.

Otherwise a diagnostic session may shed some light on the issue.

oz3litre

Thanks again. I will check when the car comes home tonight. We previously had the ti Sportwagon and always switched the wiper to the first position from off and the delay worked. I will check the manual though.