'Actual consumption' values...

Started by johnl, May 09, 2018, 06:05:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Citroënbender

My manual 147 is not 100% happy at present, suspect another pair of coil packs is ailing.  However, I did a run from north of Newie back to Sydney last Thursday night and got 7.3/100 on the average (display, not calculated). That included some pretty serious rain with a slight wind thrown in as well.

bazzbazz

If economy is what one seeks simply drive your car using the cruise control as much as possible. By doing so I get 6.8 - 6.9L/100km
with my 156 JTS Wagon. And that's city/urban combined.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

johnl

Just an update. The 'average consumption' is still consistant at 8.5L / 100km (down from consistently 8.8L with the old sensors). This does seem to suggest that the old sensors weren't in the best shape, so not a waste of money buying new ones without proof that the old were bad. But how many kms before they pay for themselves with fuel savings I haven't bothered to calculate....

The engine is definitely running more sweetly with the new sensors, with no instance (yet) of the intermittent 'doughiness' that was happening previously. However, it's still cool weather, warmer days will tell since higher ambient temperarture was what seemed to make the doughiness worse...

Regards,
John.

poohbah

I find the best way to feel good about fuel consumption is to own two different generations of Alfas.

My daily 19yo 2.5L V6 156 on average achieves about 10L/100km - which I imagine would be considered thirsty by many folks these days.

Whereas my 37yo 2L four cylinder GTV with twin 45mm Webers achieves about 15L/100km on average.

So to my mind, the 156 is as frugal as a Franciscan monk! :D

Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

Citroënbender

Quote from: poohbah on July 02, 2018, 07:42:06 PMI find the best way to feel good about fuel consumption is to own two different generations of Alfas.
People fixate on consumption.  The net cost per km is more interesting to me, if one keeps it a reasonably current calculation.  If we think we're doing well because the car is using less fuel, we're probably overlooking that the "saving" could be spent elsewhere in maintaining or improving said vehicle.  :)

poohbah

I most definitely do not factor in maintenance costs. That would just make me cry.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)