Who services what in Melbourne?

Started by blazingsud, May 01, 2018, 09:37:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blazingsud

Howdy Sudistas,
Started to pull the sprint apart and r&r it for rego and even driving...

Motor , twin carb 1.5, a 30526, a 33 engine I think, can't find any reference to that model.

I think the motor is pretty ok and will do belts, tensioner, water pump etc etc, but do think it might be worth while going the whole hog and replacing head gaskets, check rings, bearings, main seals etc etc? All hoses & wiring are getting the once even twice over...
What cost for an engine freshen and who does this?

Gearbox
I'll replace clutch and service/ replace both mast & slave cyl and lines.
I would like to get syncros looked at while I'm at it
Who is the gearbox guru?

Brake system is going to Racebrakes in Yarraville, they did my 928 and are happy with there work

Suspension
I have a lot of new bushes, Ft Koni inserts, still thinking about rear and will lower the car a little bit. 14" speedlines to be fitted

A/c
Ok the car was fitted with air, but has been poorly removed, I would like to see if I can refit but upgrade to 21st century parts.
Any a\c recommended repairers out there?

Stereo
Mmmmm this will be fun!
A nice set of Rainbow speakers, some deadening.

Carpets
Any one tried to redye them?

Seats
Not great, looking for alternatives.

Any other inputs are welcomed

Cheers
Nigel
Nigel Hyphen Donut
2010 159 2.4JTDm SW
74 sud  Blue Procida
76 sud L Silver
76 sud.L Coral Red,
78 Sprint 1.5 Red Twin carb
82 Alfasud Ti 1.5
83 Alfasud Ti 1.5
Porsche 928S4,Ducati 907ie x 2,Lambretta
Haflinger
past
79 Alfasud,Alfetta 2.0
76 Autodelta Alfetta GTAM
64 Guilia Sprint Gt "Patchwork"

bonno

Hi Nigel
For service/repairs to your Alfa Sud you can try a local club sponsor, which for Victoria can be found at the following link http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/content/view/20/33/ .
The list of tasks for your proposed refresh project is quite comprehensive and as you can appreciate, the total cost and time frame to complete is dependent on how much your prepared to do versus contracting out to a workshop. Just several points to consider and they involve the need to confirm engine condition via compression test and requirement for A/C could be quite expensive unless your entire system is complete and operational (re-gas only). Additionally, unless the gearbox is in need of repair (noisy or difficult to change), then I would only replace clutch kit and associated hydraulics, rather than a costly and unnecessary gearbox O/H.
My advice prior commencing refresh project, is make enquiries to get an indication of cost to do the essential work (roadworthy) and if budget allows include desirable work, such as carpets, seating and audio.
Cheers
bonno

aggie57

Hi Nigel

I'd suggest you talk / PM / whatever Evan Bottcher, this forum's administrator.  Do you know him?  He runs a series 1 Sud regularly in sprints and has done for years.  I see that Andrew Carra has also just resurrected his car (yes, the same Andrew and the same Sud) and he's on FB.  Not sure if he frequents this forum or not but if you can't get hold of him PM me and I'll do the connecting.

Good to hear you're getting this work done.  Thanks for the tips on the brakes as well, I need to get my GTV done soon.  It's away getting a paint at the moment.  Only been 33 years since I took if off the road.....
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

blazingsud

Thanks Al,
I see Evan on FB Sud groups, I'll also contact the various Alfasud groups, the Sydney group is pretty active. I might give Vin a call too.

Yes, I've seen pics of Andrew back, nice to see the car back on the track.

I guess the race to restore our 105s is null & void! Which country is the 105 in? I believe Patchwork got restored back to original..removing the flared guards (& a little bit of rust😳), the Alfetta was also restored to original....miss them a lot, dumb to sell, but that's life! Can't get my head around 105 values, but good luck to them.
In the back of my head I have a "singer" style restomod of an Alfetta gtam to be done one day.....I did get my sons attention, momentarily away from Fortnite,  when I mentioned that we should plonk a Boxster drive train in the back of a Sud/ Sprint! Fortunately a large garage is coming!
Nigel Hyphen Donut
2010 159 2.4JTDm SW
74 sud  Blue Procida
76 sud L Silver
76 sud.L Coral Red,
78 Sprint 1.5 Red Twin carb
82 Alfasud Ti 1.5
83 Alfasud Ti 1.5
Porsche 928S4,Ducati 907ie x 2,Lambretta
Haflinger
past
79 Alfasud,Alfetta 2.0
76 Autodelta Alfetta GTAM
64 Guilia Sprint Gt "Patchwork"

aggie57

Boxster running gear in a the back of a sprint sounds like a great idea!  Hell, you could use a low spec engine and have a great jigger at a really good price. Fast, low cog, really well proven and tough kit.

The 105 is still in Melbourne. I looked at bringing it here but they have some really nasty rules about importing cars built after 1967. Essentially I'd need to make it just like a US spec car of the same year, hardly practical or sensible. 
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

Sportscar Nut

Nigel, PM me if you want to have a chat as your work list is quite extensive and you could spend a lot of cash.

Engines are strong but suffer piston ring wear & compression drop whilst the gearboxes have a couple of weaknesses but generally fine if looked after.

I have used Beninca's for many years and swear by their work & knowledge but there a few other club sponsors such as Maranello's that will be able to  help.

Cheers
Paul

Alfa.mg

Hi nigel,
The sprint sounds awesome. Theres some good advice on here about not going too far initially.  Ive just about finished semi restoring my sud,  and I wish I had have understood what they meant before i delved in.  I would also recomend starting with just what it needs,  and get yourself on the road asap. Then do all the things that really bother you. But theres nothing wrong if you want to go the full resto route as well. Ive finnaly booked my roadworthy in and looking fwd to getting on the road.  Good to hear there are more alfa boxers on the way.
Ive just rebuilt my engine, gearbox and suspension myself at home, hasn't been easy or quick and i have good guidance from dad.  Found parts easy online.  Hardest things to find are plastic trims. Best thing i did was replace all suspension rubbers with originals. Feels solid on the road,  but not harsh at all.   I re-died my carpet red,  I was pretty happy with the result,  not perfect but much better than it was.
Ive got 5 x14" speedlines that I would sell if you wanted them.
If your looking for bits engine wise,  let me know,  ive ammounted a bit of a spares pile.
Happy tinkering
Mark
1983 alfasud TI 1.5 silver
1990 Alfa 33 cloverleaf 1.7 white
2001 Alfa 156 2.0 red
2003 Alfa 147 2.0 red
2001 Alfa 156 2.5 Monza silver (now)
1983 Alfa Sud TI 1.5 red (now)
1974 berlina 2000 white (1 too many)