Best Alfa long distance cruiser under $10k

Started by hammer, April 30, 2018, 08:28:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hammer

Christina and I are keen drive from Queensland to Mornington Peninsula for next year's Alfesta, but Christina has drawn the line at making the trip in our '84 Giulietta. No aircon and 35 year old seats are the deal breaker. So I'm doing my homework on the best Alfa for the 4000km round trip. The budget is less than $10k. I'm currently thinking 166 - plenty of space, big comfy seats, nice busso exhaust note.

Thoughts, suggestions, tips, personal experiences? How would a V6 156 stack up against the 166?

Cheers,

Brent

poohbah

I have never driven a 166 (though I love the look), but I only have good things to say about a well maintained 6sp Busso 156 - as long as you don't need the back seats for anyone taller than 4ft.

If you can actually find a manual, you should get an absolute cracker for under $8k. Looks are always subjective, but I have always preferred the pre-facelift model. And it absolutely must have the lowered suspension and teledials.

The Q-auto V6 156 is a great cruiser, and good for a 4sp slushie, but you really notice how much slower off the mark it is compared with the manual.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

bazzbazz

Quote from: hammer on April 30, 2018, 08:28:46 PM
Thoughts, suggestions, tips, personal experiences? How would a V6 156 stack up against the 166?

Cheers,

Brent

For cruising, 166 has got to be the way to go, and with a budget of $10,000 you can pick up a VERY nice condition 166 that would last you years. The problem is finding a good example that someone is willing to part with.  8)
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

bazzbazz

On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

Ransdell

Those looks really nice, Bazzbazz. That makes me wish I was in the market for one, honestly. You won't regret it if you go for a 166, Hammer.
You can find MK-677 here and start using it soon.

Craig_m67

There is bound to be a cheap Giulietta QV in that price range, no doubt with galactic mileage, but a far superior car (in reliability) than a 166/156 which is two generations previous.

Aircon will work brilliantly
Seats in the QV are supportive
It's quicker
Stereo has bluetooth/ phone integration for a long drive listening to each others Spotify mixes

https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Alfa-Romeo-Giulietta-2012/OAG-AD-15918494/?Cr=6

or a pretty stunning Derv with TCT .. that will map nicely !

https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Alfa-Romeo-Giulietta-2013/OAG-AD-15374179/?Cr=5

'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

poohbah

Hammer, this facelifted manual V6 156 is even in Brisbane. (I still think the pre-facelift models look better, I'm not a fan of the girly face of the later models :))
www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/brisbane-city/cars-vans-utes/alfa-romeo/1178562662
            1981 GTV

hammer

Thanks for the tips guys. Definitely food for thought. I better get out there and drive a few. We had a 156 ti, which was awesome to throw around the windy roads near our home on the Sunshine Coast, but those seats were rock hard on a long trip. I drove to Tamworth and back twice in the ti and my back was so sore. Seeing as Alfesta isn't until next Easter, I might see how the Giulietta prices go over the next six months. Thanks again.

Bourney

Hi,
How about you fly your wife to Melbourne and drive your 84 down. Or convince her to drive and make it a scenic trip and drop off at some beautiful spots on the way. I don't think you will need air con in April.

I am planning to drive my 83 Sud Ti QV down from Brisbane for Alfesta. My wife has agreed but if she can put up with me for 25 years then a drive to Melbourne will be easy! My friends think she is a Saint.

Plus, with the money you save from not buying another car you can get your seats repacked and upholstered to make the trip more comfortable!

If you do buy a car - why not spend a little bit more on a 156 GTA - there are about 8 on carsales? They would be a lot of fun. The cheapest is about $11.5k

Regards David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

poohbah

Triple thumbs up for the GTA suggestion. Most bang for your buck interstate bullet you can buy.
            1981 GTV

17fitty

A friend up here is selling is 156 gta if you want his number Brent?Bazzbazz has just done all the belts etc and can vouch that its a good specimen-there was an ad in the for sale section here-worth the read and laugh?

Citroƫnbender

Quote from: hammer on April 30, 2018, 08:28:46 PM...No aircon and 35 year old seats are the deal breaker.
Not going to cost $10K to rectify those issues in an enduring manner that enhances the pleasure of driving/owning the '84.

bazzbazz

You really think he'll drop over $7000 off the price?  :o
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

Akshay

How about a 159 2.4 JTD? , if you are okay with oil burners.
You should be able to find a good one within 10K.
or a 3.2/2.2 JTS, if you don't want diesels.