Engine Knock Diagnosis?

Started by V AR 164, March 01, 2018, 04:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

V AR 164

Hi all,

Just wanting some peoples opinion on a car that I have the opportunity to snap up. Its another 164 (yes I know I have too many, nevermind that fact), however its going quite cheap due to an engine knock/ squeal.

Attached is a video I took of it running. Personally it does not sound like a bottom end knock, but more like a cam follower or something similar is not happy. Mainly because its not constant like a continuos knock, but more random so to speak. Also it sounds like its coming from the top of the rear head, and not underneath the car.

Any ideas? Maybe a slipped timing belt?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKCKaerD_Zs

Thanks guys, Andrew.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

bazzbazz

Take the belt covers off so you can see the belt tensioner and see if it whacking itself silly back & forth on its stops.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

V AR 164

Quote from: bazzbazz on March 01, 2018, 05:30:36 PM
Take the belt covers off so you can see the belt tensioner and see if it whacking itself silly back & forth on its stops.

I would, but it's not 'my' car and wouldn't start pulling it apart on him.

Now that you mention the tensioner, I can see where you are coming from. He did have the timing belt replaced a few weeks prior to this, so it could be related.

Thanks, Andrew
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

bazzbazz

Well if it wasn't making the noise before and it is since the change . . . . . just saying.  ;)
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

Citroƫnbender

simmi1983

poohbah

Not sure if this helps, but i had to replace a sticking idler that was making a bloody awful noise shortly after a belt change on my first v6 156.

Just had a listen to the video - mine sounded nothing like that. More it was a strained sound under heavy acceleration, and wouldn't rev properly above 4500rpm.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

bazzbazz

I had a re-listen to the video, it's the squeaking and rattle that goes along with the  knock that makes me want to bet on belt/tensioner issues.
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

bonno

As indicated by Andrew, there was a timing belt change a few weeks earlier, however no indication whether this noise appeared since. If so, then I would suggest it is related and my recommendation is to take it back and get it rectified under repair warranty (if carried out by an Authorised repairer). By the sound of the engine, I would waste no time in getting this addressed, before it becomes terminal.

V AR 164

Hi all,

Well I did indeed purchase the car and have it at my place now. Today I quickly jacked up the car and took the front wheel off. I started it and inspected the tensioner, and to my surprise, that was indeed what was making all that knocking noise! So the motor is perfectly fine, just the tensioner is whacking itself against its bump stops. It seems as though the metal cylindrical rod that comes out of the hydraulic tensioner body that puts load against the bearing assembly is stuck in its inmost position.

I think bazz is some kind of magician!!! I plan on pulling the tensioner off and getting it rebuilt with all new seals etc.

So needless to say I am very happy with my new project and can't wait to get it all sorted.

A couple of piccies with both my Q's.

Cheers, Andrew
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

ARQ164 Shane

Hi Andrew
That's great news and I like the 147 wheels
I have been looking for a set myself.

Cheers
Hi Neighbour,
1973 L beetle "Tilly" sold
87 QV 75 ALFA 2.5lt sold
92 auto 164 3lt RIP
91 white 164 Q
89 164 Q part car

poohbah

Didn't you post a pic of that 164 last year Andrew, when you were looking for ideas on possible alternative rims for your Q?

I agree with Alphie - those 147 GTA rims look fantastic, and especially with the black duco. One of the meanest looking 164s I've seen, so congratulations on the purchase.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

V AR 164

Cheers guys  :D

Yes that was indeed this very car. Little did I know I was going to end up with it!

The paintwork is close to perfect and the motor sounds awesome.

It has heaps of upgraded parts such as the projector headlights, 24v side mirrors and a zender rear lip (needs to be repainted). Plus a full exhaust makes it sound very throaty.

Plus it has the optional recaro interior (in perfect condition) found in the 164 Q4. It was never sold here in Aus and cost the previous owner a pretty penny to import from Europe. A pic attached is the interior it has. I haven't got any pics of it so I got one off the net.

In short, a very nice car which I plan to work on over the coming months.

Cheers, Andrew
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

ACE

So Andrew,

Which of the awesome 164some will you be taking to Auto Italia?

April 15 @ Pialligo Estate.

ARQ164 Shane

Hey Andrew
So now you have a bb1
You might need to change
Your name to Steve .only joking
But you must have a awesome looking
Shed mate
Cheers
Hi Neighbour,
1973 L beetle "Tilly" sold
87 QV 75 ALFA 2.5lt sold