alaf 105 steering wheel refurb?

Started by ray hearn, December 06, 2017, 05:30:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ray hearn

Hi all,
My 105 GTV's steering wheel wood rim has seen better days. Any suggestions for a repairer/ refurbisher/ replacement?
Cheers, Ray

bonno

Hi Ray
Depending on the condition of the original steering wheel, I would attempt to do it yourself as it is not that difficult. This job needs to be done with the steering wheel assembly removed from the vehicle. A simple 5 step process is involved  and cost for materials $50 (refer to attached photo of the steering wheel that I refurbished on my Alfetta GTV).
Step 1
Remove the varnish/lacquer from the surface, by rubbing by hand with 120 grit sand paper, then 240 grit to get a smooth uniform surface
Step 2
Mask up all metallic parts of the steering wheel.
Step 3
Stain the wheel with the appropriate timber finish using a lint free cloth to apply.
Step 4
Apply 2 to 3 coats of clear to bring out that brilliant timber stained finish. (spray can )
Step 5.
Remove masking and refit the wheel.

jtothek

Quote from: bonno on December 06, 2017, 08:28:31 PM
Hi Ray
Depending on the condition of the original steering wheel, I would attempt to do it yourself as it is not that difficult. This job needs to be done with the steering wheel assembly removed from the vehicle. A simple 5 step process is involved  and cost for materials $50 (refer to attached photo of the steering wheel that I refurbished on my Alfetta GTV).
Step 1
Remove the varnish/lacquer from the surface, by rubbing by hand with 120 grit sand paper, then 240 grit to get a smooth uniform surface
Step 2
Mask up all metallic parts of the steering wheel.
Step 3
Stain the wheel with the appropriate timber finish using a lint free cloth to apply.
Step 4
Apply 2 to 3 coats of clear to bring out that brilliant timber stained finish. (spray can )
Step 5.
Remove masking and refit the wheel.
Hi Bono,
GreAt post!
Any suggestions on sealing/filling timber cracks so they don't show? What would you use?

bonno

Hi jtothek
If the steering wheel shows signs of cracking thru, then scrap it. However if the cracking/peeling is confined to the outer clear coat/layer, then I would sand this layer until you achieve a smooth even finish, then stain and apply clear coat as detailed above. For minor patch repairs to indentations and or scratches, then this can be done using a suitable filler which is to be sanded smooth. After finishing this stage of repair, stain and clear coat as above. Find link to a suitable filler
http://www.timbermate.com.au/products/Earls+MulTFill.aspx

Citroƫnbender

There are some boat building epoxies which aren't bad both as glues and fillers. They can be pigmented with either artists' dry powders or matching sawdust. You can purchase from Carba-Tec, a dangerous place to visit with money to spend!

jantar

The youtube videos by "Tips from a Shipwright" are pretty useful if looking at anything to do with wood working, epoxy, varnish etc.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TipsfromaShipWright/videos