Alfa 159 Selespeed issue (2.2 JTS) - Have Gearbox checked

Started by nevin, April 26, 2017, 07:10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nevin

Hi there, im 20 years old and my first ride is an Alfa 159 2.2 JTS, love the car, when everything is working that is, been some ups and downs , got the car when i was 18. Do regular checks, have changed the oil at least 8 times since having it, but the other day when driving the car back from uni, about 45 minutes in just as i was about to enter the Monash freeway from Burke Road after being in a lot of traffic, the car comes up with a Gearbox icon which was flashing, and didn't let me enter any gears from 3 above, and the temperature gauge, was higher than what it normally is, so as i couldn't really hit 100km/h, i just went 70, to at least get the thing home. Gear 1, 2, 3 were working just fine, downshift and upshifts. When i got home , turned it off, put the key back in and the error message came up "Have gearbox checked". Last time i got an error, it was "Have engine checked", and changed the oil cleaned the 2 solenoids, and was perfect. I let the car sit for an hour or so, put the key back in and the error was gone, was able to enter each gear, without starting the car. Went for a couple of laps, around my place, and all six gears were functioning like they used too. So im hoping this is not an actuator problem, cause 3k, that is something i dont have. Not sure what to do, will changing the Oils help me in anyway, So the Selespeed oil 0.6L Tutela CS, and the hydraulic fluid DOT 4 in the reservoir with the black cap, and gearbox oil, i dont think these have yet been changed on my car, not sure. Also, ive heard putting in more gearbox oil, 2.8 -3.0 L, will reduce heat, and improve shifting. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Ive also thought about taking off the underpanel, to prove air flow.

Also i noticed something very interesting , the selespeed electric pump, works as normal when i open the door, about 5 - 7 seconds, and then cuts out, when i change into gears however then pump still works, is this normal? So without the car being started, when in go from 1 - 2, the pump does nothing, but from 2 -3, the pump is on, then from 3 - 4, nothing, but from 4 - 5, the pump is on , and 5 - 6, there is nothing, its the same story for going from 6th gear to first, where the pump is not on from 6 - 5, but is reactivated when going down from 5 to 4, and 3 to 2, just wondering if this is normal, cause im not sure. Im thinking its an accumulator problem, or does extra pressure needed to be produced by the pump when going into higher gears?

bazzbazz

Ok Nevin, there is rarely if EVER any reason to change a whole Selespeed Actuator, If anyone ever suggests this for any other reason other than the case cracking or one of the sub assemblies not being available, you need to go find someone else who knows what they are doing! Almost all issues can be resolved with replacing minor components, calibration or servicing.

Anyway, you have 4 basic issues here to look at.

1/ The pump priming - From your description the pump is working perfectly.
     It only runs when the Accumulator pressure drops below 36.5 Bar and cuts out at 46 Bar (in the 159 2.2 Selespeed,
     other models run at slightly different pressures.) And you usually get 2 gear changes out of the stored pressure in the
     Accumulator before the pump kicks in and re-pressurises it and that is why it runs roughly every second gear change.

2/ Selespeed fluids -
    The Gearbox Oil level should be checked every 12 months and if low topped up.

The Selepeed Oil should be checked at every service and if low topped up and the system checked for leaks, it is a
    closed system, so the missing oil had to leak from somewhere.   ;)

The DOT4 Brake fluid is for the operation of the clutch Master Cylinder (the cylinder device that the DOT4 Reservoir is
     attached to) and the Slave Cylinder that is in the Bell Housing. IT IS IMPERITIVE THAT THIS BRAKE FLUID BE
     REPLACED EVERY 24 MONTHS. The reason why is that as the piston goes back and forth in the Master Cylinder it runs
     in a plastic chamber, fine particles wear from this chamber as well from the rubber seals and create a black mud that
     flows back into the DOT4 Fluid reservoir and settles on the bottom of the Reservoir creating a layer of black ooz. What
     most don't realise is the feed hole from the reservoir into the Master Cylinder is very tiny and can be blocked by the
     ooz resulting in the failure of the Clutch Cylinder operation. So every 24 months, use an oil syringe, suck out all the old
     oil, clean out the feed hole in the bottom of the Reservoir as best you can (I use a fine artist brush to clean out the
     feed hole) and replace with fresh fluid.

4/ Your Selespeed warning light - When there is a momentary/partial error in the Selespeed system it puts the car
     into "Limp Home Mode", this is the reason why you could not go above 3rd gear. The Selespeed system should be
     given a full Calibration and Clutch adjustment with Diagnostics at each servicing. You momentary hiccup could be just
     a need for the system to be calibrated and adjusted, or you could have a worn sensor that will need replacing shortly,
     you need to have it Calibrated and checked.

Baz
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

nevin

Thank you so much Baz :), will check out each step you have provided, i think it might be a worn out sensor and maybe in need for a calibration now , ive had my alfa for two years now so i think i might get all the fluids changed aswell. Thank you so much, feel so much better that it could be one of those things.  :D.

bazzbazz

The worst failure you could possibly ever have with the Selespeed System in your 159 is for the Clutch Slave Cylinder to fail, as it is on the bell housing so its a gearbox out job. But as its the same Slave Cylinder that the manual uses . . .you can't really go picking out the Selespeed for that one.  :)

Baz
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

nevin

Mick A

nevin

Hi Mick, the cars done 155,000 kms, All the service history has been up to date in the log book, i feel that the previous owner may of put in a new timing chain and clutch aswell, car feels great when driving

psproule

Baz has given you some great information. If you are at all technically minded I'd suggest investing in a copy of MultiECU Scan and an alfa specific OBD cable such as the following (with switched pins).
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MultiECUScan-FIAT-ALFA-VAG-USB-OBD2-DIAGNOSTIC-LEAD-SWITCH-ECU-AIRBAG-ABS-/222491254265?hash=item33cd831df9:g:x3AAAOSwX61ZAwnh

IMHO every Selespeed owner should have one. Allows you to perform calibrations, check sensors and solenoids. The Alfa diagnostics are actually very comprehensive and MultiECUScan is great software.

I'm also with Baz in that the whole actuator does not need to be changed. That's the lazy and expensive way out. Position sensors and O Rings are the most common failures and both are easy to source, replace / repair. Gets a bit more expensive if solenoids fail but still not difficult. Your fault could be as simple as a calibration though.

Pat

Mick A

Has it definitely had a clutch done then? If not, I would say that is the problem.

gafile190

Gearbox not engaging, dash says 'check gearbox
And noticed upon opening the drivers door, I could hear the pump, so at least I know the 50 amp contactor is ok.
Accumulator?
Hearing pump motor but pump defunct? Thank you

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

bazzbazz

You need to have Diagnostics carried out on it, guessing will get you nowhere.
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast