156 Fuel Smell

Started by 105greg, January 20, 2017, 12:18:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

105greg

Like to contribute for a change  . My 156 GTA was getting fuel smells . Had some tourists in the back seat and wound down the windows and it was not good . After googling , evidently this is a common problem .   The pump after time perishes and leaks through the top of the plastic cover .  Examining is not as hard as you think , two allen key bolts for bottom back seat then remove , then two allen keys for top seat and lift of hinges and you will discover a hatch . The hatch has four 13 mm bolts remove and pull to the side , one fuel pump .        Please PM me am free to explain in detail about this procedure  .   Dont be scared about this if you want to save big $ have a crack at it    After starting engine it was clear that fuel was pissing out of the top of fuel pump.     

So need new fuel pump    . Want to get a good deal . Fuel pump removed numbers say
Bosch   

580 313 075

Anyone recognize these numbers     

Have emailed some suppliers in england but it looks dear

There is an ad on EBAY from Moorabbin VIC quoting $ 241  sounds good    Any other ideas    Thanks

bazzbazz

If the one from Moorabbin is this one -

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/151974064886?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Then its the right one and the cheapest price you'll get in Australia.

Baz
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

105greg

Yep.  That's it.    Cheers mate. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

poohbah

Greg, I have had this issue on both my 156s. But despite most workshops usually saying you need to replace the pump in total, my local alfa workshop have been able to repair instead of replace - total cost $280 last time I had it done (8 months ago).
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

105greg

Hi poobah.   Any idea how they repaired it.   It's only going to cost me the $ 250 for the new pump as I pulled it out myself. Cheers

poohbah

I'm not 100% certain, but I think it involves some sort of plasti-welding and new seals. Seeing as you already have the pump out, maybe you could take it round to a workshop and ask if it could be fixed. Might be cheaper. But if its going to cost within 20-30% of a new pump, you may as well just buy the new one and fit yourself.

I know that the workshop I go to does quite a lot of these repairs - they came up with a fix because of the number of 932 series cars that had the issue and the higher relative cost of replacement (at least if you are paying workshop labour). They also swear by the longevity of the repair as a permanent fix. I don't know of anyone who has had to go back for a second fix on the same car afterwards.
            1981 GTV

bazzbazz

The area that normally leaks is the 4 section "Crown" area on top. If you can't get hold of a new pump, or as in my case when I first got "Ruby" you cant afford a new one, the best repair method is using JB-Weld metal epoxy.

You simply just mix up enough to fill the 4 sections on top and leave 48hrs to completely cure. The JB-Weld is impervious to fuel and if any manages to get trough 2-3cm of the stuff . . . .

But as you have the means to replace it, buy the new pump!

Ohh, and did we have fun getting the top fitting ring off?    ;)

Baz
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

105greg

Yep.  I reckon I'll
Go for a new one thanks for the input.  I was actually surprised baz.    Used the old trusty blunt chisel and hammer and came off easily.     For those reading this , once you get to the fuel pump you have to unscrew a cap which holds the pump in.     Cheers all.  Let u know how I go. 

bazzbazz

Ahh, you HAVE disconnected the battery . . . . haven't you?  :o
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

poohbah

Good point Baz. I forgot to do that on my first 156 when changing the stereo head unit, and shorted out half the dash and required new fusebox. So much for savings on the DIY stereo! Still, I'll not make that mistake again...
            1981 GTV

105greg

Oops.    But I am alive.    Best disconnect for refit    Doh

105greg

Oh.  And the best thing.  I found $ 3.75 in change.  18 hair clips. An old McDonald's chip 3 twisties and rubber bands for braces.   See how worthwhile and rewarding this exercise can be. 

Craig_m67

Braces?
I call loom bands

/C
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

bazzbazz

Quote from: 105greg on January 20, 2017, 06:28:39 PM
Oops.    But I am alive.    Best disconnect for refit    Doh

Hmmmm, may I suggest a full auto Halide Fire Extinguisher System fit out . . . . .I just have that sneaking feeling it's gonna come in handy someday . . . .

:o

;D  ;D  ;D  ;D
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

poohbah

Here's one I prepared earlier ... :'(

(no - it wasn't when I changed the stereo)
            1981 GTV