75 series air con compressor make, model

Started by MD, December 19, 2016, 09:37:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MD

Hi Guys,

It's been ages since I have posted anything. Things other than cars taking precedence.

The beloved 75 air con that I rebuilt has failed in the new hoses connections which were locally made. I have also developed a wear in the front seal of the rotary compressor.
Regrettably the identification label is illegible on the unit and so I need a leg up with the make and model of these compressors so that I can replace it with a new one. Once I know this information, I can determine its specifications and probably install an improved version with better hose connection configurations.

Thanks for your help in anticipation. Bad time of the year to be out of cool !!

Merry Christmas to all.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

LukeC

The compressor is a Sanden SD7H13. The pulley setup I am not sure on. I have dealt with Jeremy at http://speedyairspares.com.au/ ... They are located in Bundaberg, so is considered a Brisso. They sell a product called air-o-crimp... you make you own hoses at home. The replacement Sanden has smaller fittings than the original.

I am in the middle of buying all the bits for 3.0 Alfetta, so Jeremy will be getting one for me over the next couple of days. Will post the exact model.
Luke Clayton

qvae.com.au

MD

Thank you Luke.
I will await your further advice.
134a gas pressure has no mercy. When I replace the suction hose, I will move the blue gas connection completely away from where it is to a much more convenient location. Whilst I can do all the peripheral wok related to air conditioning, I do not own the evac and refill gear and so I am dependent like everyone else on the trade to finalise the system.

Cheers.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

LukeC

From what I can ascertain, The original fitment compressor is no longer available with a special purpose pulley for the V6 RWD Alfa setup (correct me if I am wrong, someone). An SD7H13 8908 is the best you will get... it will fit the TS engine directly, but not the V6. The original clutch on the original compressor and the new ones are NOT compatible.

My work around was (and will be this time) it to remove both pulleys, bore out the old one (removing the magnetic clutch facing at the front). Machine to new one to suit (press fit (I think I gave it .1 mm interference fit), and press together giving the correct belt offset. Works a charm...

The measurement from the front of the aluminium body of the compressor to the centre of the pulley is approximately 23-24 mm. See below for my modified compressor and original Alfa fitment.
Luke Clayton

qvae.com.au

MD

Good stuff Luke.
Too bad about the no direct part replacement.
I think I might approach it from a different angle.
Instead of working on the clutch pulley mods, if I cannot source the same alignment from a substitute compressor I will make a  converter mount and leave the compressor original. That way, any future failure in the compressor is just a direct swap over.

:) I have had a lot of practice making mounts for superchargers and swapping alternator left to right... :).

Thanks very much for your input. Its got me off my butt to get on with the job.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

LukeC

I am going to get the 8908 (from Jeremy $380 + frieght), and see what the quickest way is for this guy.

It could well be to mod the mounts so that a direct replacement is available.
Luke Clayton

qvae.com.au

MD

Sportiva,

Visit this website and look up "Fixed Displacement Compressors" and locate SD7H13 specifications.Various models of the same compressor provide for different connection configurations.
http://www.sanden.com.sg/

With respect to moving more air through the evaporator, disconnect the heater core from the coolant re-circulation and remove the heater core from the evap box completely.

Be aware that winter condensation on the windscreen may be an issue as a consequence. It is generally not a problem in the tropics.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

LukeC

I'm away in  a national park, so can't add any info. But so I hear, the bits for doing the A/C install haave arrived ready for me to continue with the latest job.
I will take pics and post how I do the pulley conversion when I get back... Probably a week or so.
Luke Clayton

qvae.com.au

LukeC

Back from my break away....Three days in five star, and three days in million star accommodation. Can't say I am ready to go back to my day job, but them's the breaks...

The A/C pulley:

See first image for the original compressor against the replacement (as above, a SD7H13 8908), which will fit directly onto a T-S engine. The fittings are smaller for the replacement, so even if the pulley was correct, hose changes are required.

Second image is the clutches removed so the different size is shown of the bearing/clutch... you can 't just swap the pulley.

The two pulleys: Machine the clutch face off the old one and bore out true to the OD. Machine the new pulley OD down to get a .1 mm interference fit with the V6 pulley. Note: before I did this, I had calculated the amount to press the pulleys together to get the correct alignment.

The finished Pulley... and compressor on the engine half installed (Alfetta GCL 3.0 with all the fruit, sick suspension etc).

BTW, I always trim the "ear" off the compressor closest the engine block to get max adjustment on the belt.
Luke Clayton

qvae.com.au

LukeC

Luke Clayton

qvae.com.au

bteoh

Does anyone know if the air con compressor from an Alfa 164 3.0 V6 would fit in an Alfa 75 Potenziata?
The one on my Potenziata has sprung a leak from the front cover and I imagine it will not be repairable. I have a spare 164 and was wondering if the compressors can be inter- changed? Can't really see the compressor model on the 164 to note the difference.
Cheers

Citroƫnbender

You can re-seal them, kits from a variety of sources, possibly varying in quality too. You need a nose protector in the kit if you go this way - it stopes the shaft from nicking the seal as you install it.

Else swap the clutch/pulleys and (if required) the backplates and off you go. Pay attention to the clutch shims, clutch air gap distance needs to be reasonably honoured.

Colin Edwards

A bit off topic, however an air con related question.
I'd like to the replace the bearing in my 75 3.0 air con belt idler pulley.  However the bearing looks like a "special" - doesn't look like a 6204 or a 6304.  The outer race dimension is either an odd size or the pulley itself is the outer race?!? - unlikely!
Any advice?  Can the bearing be removed / pressed out or is a complete new assembly the only option? 
Thanks.
Present
2023 Tonale Veloce
2018 Abarth 124 Spider
1987 75 3.0

Past
2020 Giulietta Veloce
2015 Giulietta QV
2009 159 3.2 Ti Q4
2012 Giulietta TCT Veloce
2006 147 Ti 2 door Selespeed
1979 Alfasud Ti 1.5

bazzbazz

Is the Pulley material metal or plastic?
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au