164 Electronics Problem

Started by V AR 164, December 21, 2015, 11:38:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

V AR 164

Hi guys,

The first of many problems to come I suspect.

I went out in the driveway last night and as I had a look into my car, I noticed the console lighting was on. The window switches and the transmission selector lights were on. I unlocked the car and started it up and that seemed to make the lights turn off after I turned the car off. Just in case I undid the battery so it wouldn't go flat.

This morning I reconnected the battery to move the car. It started fine but when I went to roll the windows down, nothing happened. Also the heating and cooling system fan is not working. Also the ac compressor used to engage and make a click when I would turn the ignition on, it does not do that now.

I have checked all fuses and they are all still good.

Any ideas? With summer here I would really like the fan to work and the windows to roll down!

Thanks, Andrew.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

V AR 164

Okay, so this afternoon it seemed to fix itself and everything was working normally for a couple hours. However, it came back again.

On further investigation, the windscreen wipers do not work at all, not even the washer system, and the indicators do not work, although they work when I press the hazards.

I believe it is a grounding issue as every time I turn the car off and get out, I get 'zapped' when touching the door.

Please help!

Andrew.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

Evan Bottcher

Hi Andrew, I'm not much of an electrical expert but I'd be checking the relays as well. I remember on our 164 a relay blew and it took out the air-con/fan and electric windows as well. On a hot day of course...

I think if you can identify them you can swap them around to diagnose. Like I said though no expert, but maybe an area to research.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Cool Jesus

A multimeter would be an awesome chrissy present here Andrew  ;) They're cheap enough these days and an absolute necessity for electrics. Start back tracking the problem systems to see where you have power, that shouldn't. There's an obviouse short at play here...
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

Garibaldi

Aah, the dreaded Alfa electrical gremlins, gotta love em. I think we've all been infected at some stage. They're like a virus, they come from out of the blue and sometimes disappear of their own accord, sometimes not. I hope you get it sorted. :o

colcol

I had a similar problem years ago with the 33, you would switch off the ignition and something would stay on, turns out it was a sticky relay, that wasn't switching off with the ignition, and it would keep supplying power to the widget.
If something is not switching off, go and pull the appropriate relay out, and if it switches off, then you have a stuck relay, that may have the connectors burnt together.
Also, if something is not switching on, check that the appropriate relay is switching on, supplying power to the widget.
The last multimeter i purchased from jaycar was $6.50, ad it now lives in the car, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

V AR 164

Thanks everyone!

I will definitely pick up a multimeter. I've come to the conclusion that it must be a 'main relay' that provides power to the other relays in the fuse box due to the fact that many systems have failed at once.
I also have a workshop manual that I am reading through so hopefully I can get this sorted out.

Thanks again guys!

Andrew.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

gtv6sv

If you are still having trouble with the electricals on the 164, I'd highly recommend you Abruzzo Auto Electrical in Thomastown, Joe is an absolute guru especially when it comes to 164's!
1970 1750 Berlina
1983 GTV 2.0
1985 GTV6 2.5
1991 164 Q 12V
1992 33 16V S
1999 GTV Twin Spark

Joe Falcone

Quote from: gtv6sv on December 27, 2015, 01:13:08 AM
If you are still having trouble with the electricals on the 164, I'd highly recommend you Abruzzo Auto Electrical in Thomastown, Joe is an absolute guru especially when it comes to 164's!
ill second that
And now that his son Marco helps out service has improved
1979 Alfetta GTV
1991 75 3.0 QV (potenziata)
2018 Giulia Quadrifoglio
2021 Stelvio Veloce

Joe Falcone

By the way, sorry slightly off topic, I just added a potenziata to the stable.
Love it to bits already :D
1979 Alfetta GTV
1991 75 3.0 QV (potenziata)
2018 Giulia Quadrifoglio
2021 Stelvio Veloce

Evan Bottcher

Joe start a new thread with some pics of the Potenziata, I'd like to see it...
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

V AR 164

Thanks gtv6.

I have not been able to fix it yet. However, I have discovered that if I pull off a relay cover and manually bridge the connections the system relating to it works. So I believe power is not getting to the fusebox to engage the relay.

I have been past Abruzzo Auto Electricals before and have a business card from him, may pass the car onto him to fix.

Thanks again, Andrew.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti