2003 156 Selespeed JTS Sportswagon

Started by Tassiebob, November 29, 2015, 11:06:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tassiebob

Hi, just joined this group and recently acquired (last week) 156 as above, very cheap from motivated vendor, very tidy inside and out, 105,000 km, seems to have fresh "Hi-Tec" oil (never heard of it) but previous history unknown.  Goes like a rocket but engine is distinctly rattly, some of it tappets but another sound like loose cam chain (yes I know it has belt). Diagnostics ok, no other problems apparent. I am a mechanic 40yr+. Anyone care to comment?

colcol

These JTS engines are intolerant to dirty oil, if you don't have a service history, the oil changes might have been skipped.
Because of the direct injection the oil gets contaminated with petrol and results in worn camshafts, as in the lobes wear off, but you say it has good power.
The positive or negative grind on the camshaft lobes will wear off and cause the hydraulic lifters not to rotate and the lifter face will get a groove worn in it and become noisy.
Take the cam cover off and see the condition of the camshafts, the cam cover is held in by some fasteners.
On one of the workshop nights we had with an Alfa Romeo Independant, he had a pile of JTS camshafts with worn lobes, the twin sparks don't seem to suffer from this problem.
Hope this helps, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Craig_m67

Do the JTS engines have the noisey cam variator like the earlier twinspark?
That is also a source of noise that is often overlooked, variator still works, just noisy.
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

colcol

Craig, you are right, the JTS does have a cam variator like the twin spark, and it is usually on startup when cold, when the oil has drained off overnight it will be noisy, i have been told it makes your car sound like a diesel.
Some have told me changing to a different oil with more 'cling', will reduce the noise, the 'cling' being it doesn't drain off overnight, giving a dry start.
If you have worn cams, then the rough finish on the cams will transfer to the lifters, making them noisy.
Lifting off the cam cover to check condition of cams and lifters is a relatively easy job, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Garibaldi

colcol

The correct specification and viscosity with a distinct lack of contaminates as found with JTS engines, that have skipped oil changes.
Congratulations, Mr. Garribaldi, [if that is your real name], on your 147 taking out its class at the Alliance Insurance Spectaccolo for 2015.
What is the type of polish did you use on your 147, to give it that class winning shine?, Colin.

Garibaldi

Quote from: colcol on December 02, 2015, 09:11:49 PM
The correct specification and viscosity with a distinct lack of contaminates as found with JTS engines, that have skipped oil changes.
Congratulations, Mr. Garribaldi, [if that is your real name], on your 147 taking out its class at the Alliance Insurance Spectaccolo for 2015.
What is the type of polish did you use on your 147, to give it that class winning shine?, Colin.
If I told you that Col everybody would use it. ;)

Tassiebob

Hi folks, thanks for replies, have been out of circulation over Christmas but have been busy with the car for last week or so.  Anyway, I pulled all the covers off (cam and belts), everything looked ok but engine dirty inside, then realised that three of the cam lobes, two inlet, one exh. were totally clapped out. One was almost round (!) one worn to a point (sharp edge) and one worn very evenly but about 5mm less lift than it's partner. All were on different cylinders so at least one valve getting full lift, which would explain why it still goes well. No doubt those followers are pretty sad also, and together with a worn variator would certainly account for the the clatter. Got it going again pending finding some bits.
    Amazingly found an engine last week at a wreckers, reputedly with new cams but less some external bits for $500  (some $800 -$1000 less than anything else I've seen offered). Have now pulled out the cams with shiny new variator, followers, belts, idlers, water pump etc, and just about (today) got all the old bits off the engine and hopefully get it going tomorrow.
   Question now is what oil? The general advice seems to be oil change every 5000 km, but many opinions on the best oil or is it that these JTS engines are so crap that no oil will stop them wearing out :) I'm leaning towards Nulon 10/60 friction modified. Appreciate any suggestions, (engine doesn't use much oil).    Bob.

colcol

Hello Bob,
The problem is with the JTS engine and ALL Direct Injected engines is that they suffer from crankcase dilution, the high pressure fuel injectors spray petrol past the rings and the fuel ends up in the oil, and petrol is a good solvent, but not a good lubricant.
The Alfa Club in Victoria had a technical night for 156's and the workshop owner pointed us to a stack of worn JTS cams, due to this problem.
It doesn't really matter what oil you use, it will get contaminated and won't lubricate properly.
Just get a good quality 10-60 fully synthetic oil and change it every 5,000 klms or 6 months.
Use Nulon, Penrite, Castrol, Martini, Selenia or whatever your favourite oil is.
Running around the city and doing short trips, does the oil no favours, as it doesn't get hot enough to burn off the contaminates.
Do shorter runs, then change the oil more often, do longer freeway runs change not as often.
Don't forget about the oil filter, they are tiny and doesn't take to much to clog them up, [with camshaft lobe shavings.
The oil filter is easy to change on a JTS, its at the front on the bottom of the motor.
There are 2 filters for the JTS 2002 - 2004 and 'series 3', Guigaro face lift, up to 2006.
Keep up those oil changes, and check the level every week, Colin.

Tassiebob

Hi Col, Many thanks for this and previous advice, greatly appreciated, and pretty much confirms the conclusions I'd reached. I settled on Penrite 10/10 10W60 synth racing oil which seems close to the Selenia they recommend, not that I'm greatly concerned about the rest of the engine, think the new one is better anyway, just don't want to hurt the nice cams etc in the meantime.
    It should be going tomorrow, having run out of puff today - woke up at 3.30 am worrying about it, but it's going ok, local car parts had a filter, (the stock they keep and the knowledge they have is very impressive) and the oil of course, so just a matter of being careful not to hurt anything and all should be good,   Bob.