alfa 75 audio options

Started by Divano Veloce, May 23, 2015, 12:12:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jazig.k

You could follow along with my idea? gets the speaker nice forward and at a better height! These Eclipses are 6.5" with huge rear ends. I built them sticking out so far so I didn't cut anything like the door trim [Edit: tiny enclosure issues for the woofer are less than ideal]. The smaller framed speakers would be much more suitable.

Link to more pictures.
http://s819.photobucket.com/user/jazig_k/library/1988%2075%203lt/75%20sound%20system%20-%20custom%20pods%20and%203-way%20splits?sort=3&page=1

Divano Veloce

I think what you've done is beautiful!

Unfortunately I don't think I have time for such a project.... :(

1968 Berlina TS
1989 75 TS
1990 75 TS
2007 147 JTD

jazig.k

They didn't take very long at all! The door pods were probably a weekend job, one day measuring, cutting and glassing, the next a quick sand and cover. 1/2" foam before the vynal for a soft trim and it covers all the faults.

lombardi

Awesome work, very inventive and original
forza lazio,viva l'alfa

Current Alfa=

Giulietta 2015 QV manual Ghiaccio

1974 Spider series 2 ,carabinieri blu

Previous Alfas=

33x4 1985 wagon
33 ti 1985
156 sportswagon manual red
Alfetta sportiva 1981 red
166 silver 1999

Divano Veloce

Alas I have committed to a path a bit more along what Julian has done with his 75.

I have purchased component 5.25" speakers for the doors (alpine spr-50c) and some cheaper coaxial 5.25 (polk DB510)  for the parcel shelf.... Boring I know... With the savings on rear speakers I have purchased a dynamat door kit and some extra for the parcel shelf. Total outlay of $410.

Should be a fun one day project!

(current projects list extends beyond the grave...)
1968 Berlina TS
1989 75 TS
1990 75 TS
2007 147 JTD

Divano Veloce

Speaker baffles made:

trial fit. The wiring connectors can be flipped to the inside of the door to make way for the baffle. I have connected the speakers and they sound rubbish like this.... next job is to make some more sections to cover the smaller openings then glue/screw it all together with deadener. I think I have a plan for how to integrate a frame mounted speaker with the door trim... It will poke through.

1968 Berlina TS
1989 75 TS
1990 75 TS
2007 147 JTD

shiny_car

They look decent. Good work.

Also cover over the other service holes to improve the performance (eg: with self adhesive sound deadener like Dynamat).

:)
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

Divano Veloce

Thanks shiny,

I have heaps of dynamat and will seal up the whole door pretty well. I'm resisting the urge to go bananas with some of the cabin quieting techniques like decoupled MLV.... http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/products

The worst cabin noise in the 75 seems to come from the wind deflectors on both front doors.
1968 Berlina TS
1989 75 TS
1990 75 TS
2007 147 JTD

jazig.k

The noise seems worse without them though, but I don't have the smooth deflectorless trim piece, just pulled the plastic out so it catches wind.

Looking good! Nice solid mounting.

Divano Veloce

It could be that mine are cracked....
1968 Berlina TS
1989 75 TS
1990 75 TS
2007 147 JTD

GTVeloce

Mine aren't cracked and are still the primary source of noise while cruising at speed. Like the look of your mounts and the rest of your install plans. But love the look of Jazig's pods! The other good thing about them is you can return the original inserts at any stage if you want to return it to original.

I have often thought of removing the deflectors to see if it improves the wind noise. Has anyone actually had success doing so?

Divano Veloce

In between pulling sumps and bearings I fitted the door cards to the 75 which required cutting for the woofer. With just the main  speaker baffles installed with no sealer or deadener I auditioned the setup. I'm super pleased! With just the front speakers connected this is the second best sound I've experienced in a car, the best being Julians GTV... :P

I am really impressed with what can be achieved with a head unit amp and 5.25" speakers! I've mucked around with car stereos before but never put so much effort into speaker installation. Thanks to everyone for your advice and suggestions.
1968 Berlina TS
1989 75 TS
1990 75 TS
2007 147 JTD

Divano Veloce

Sooo.... I did the seal the door trick with 'Dynamat' to the LHS first, then back filled the door card with foam. Compared left to right and there was a big difference in the lower frequency response.

Sealing the doors have improved the lower frequencies, but overall its the clarity in the midrange and highs that I'm really taken by. I very rarely feel the need to adjust the eq and if I do its only by a couple of dB. In comparison, my wifes Octavia has much more bass but midrange is missing and I'm always either adjusting the eq or volume to try to account for it....

Unfortunately the rear speakers sound terrible in comparison so I'm going to have to build them a nice home too...
1968 Berlina TS
1989 75 TS
1990 75 TS
2007 147 JTD

shiny_car

Sounds like a good result. Nice.  8)
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey