04 alfa romeo 156 overheating - suprise surpise

Started by Annabella, March 16, 2015, 09:29:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kulwinder

No it doesn't go to danger zone. Have a look at picture where the maximum it goes. And comes back to 90. When in tragic or idling. On freeway stays under 90.

Coolant level is ok. I am checking coolant every week. Never added coolant or water from last 3000kms, since I bought. So defiantly no leakage.

Kulwinder Singh

Craig_m67

The behaviour is not normal
Change the thermostat,

... Cheap preventative maintenance
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

AikenDrum105

Interestingly my JTS can run about that high on a hot day in stop/go traffic.   When I bought the car the thermostat was definitely stuck open and the car would never warm up.   I replaced it with an aftermarket thermostat from euro spares here in melb - I think the new one isn't particularly happy either.   

Given the quantity of posts on all the forums about the suspect quality and lifetime of JTS thermostats - I'd replace it and see if the behaviour changes.  I'm about to put an oem unit in mine.

Cheers,

Scott
'66 Giulia Super 105.28.720988 TS+MS3+ITB+COP
'65 Giulia Sprint GT 105.04.753710
'04 156 JTS Sportwagon

Earlier follies...
'66 Duetto 105.05.710057
'85 GTV6
'71 1750 GTV

Mick A

If a customer brought the car to me with this concern, the first thing I would be doing is connecting our scan tool and getting the exact coolant temp from the computer. Not relying on the gauge which can be surprisingly inaccurate from experience.

The thermostat is a simple part to replace, and relatively inexpensive, for the part and the labour, in comparison to other jobs.

Change the thermostat, then if the issue continues you can move on to other options and at least rule out one thing.

The other thing is the water pump. It could have a slipping plastic impeller, not circulating the water quickly enough and causing it to run a little hot.

End of the day, the temp shouldn't be running up higher than 90.

Mick

colcol

I am particulary hard on my thermostats, due to my driving style, 4 in 6 years, and the current one is on the way out.
The 33 on the other hand 3rd one in 30 years, they knew how to build them in the Alfa Romeo days of yore, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Kulwinder

Quote from: Choderboy on March 24, 2015, 09:04:25 PM
If a customer brought the car to me with this concern, the first thing I would be doing is connecting our scan tool and getting the exact coolant temp from the computer. Not relying on the gauge which can be surprisingly inaccurate from experience.

The thermostat is a simple part to replace, and relatively inexpensive, for the part and the labour, in comparison to other jobs.

Change the thermostat, then if the issue continues you can move on to other options and at least rule out one thing.

The other thing is the water pump. It could have a slipping plastic impeller, not circulating the water quickly enough and causing it to run a little hot.

End of the day, the temp shouldn't be running up higher than 90.

Mick
thats what he did. Check with his laptop. And checked exact temperature when fan was coming on while car idling.

Kulwinder Singh