Adjusting the indicator cancelling mechanism

Started by Catzfan, March 16, 2015, 04:42:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Catzfan

The indicating cancelling mechanism on my 916 Spider works quickly for Left turns but not so well on Right turns. It appears to me that the whole mechanism is a little out of adjustment but when I removed all the plastic covers, I didn't see any form of adjustment. Has anyone else had this problem and of so any suggested remedy?
Older man having a bit of fun
2001 Spider TS Luxury

Brad M

This might be a bit of a basic answer, but are all the indicator globes functioning?

On other cars I've seen one side function fast when a bulb is blown.
06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067

colcol

I don't know if the 916 spider is the same as a 156, so here is how a 156 self canceller works, there is a tooth that sticks out when the indicators are switched on, and there is a drum that rotates with the steering wheel and when you turn the steering wheel the drum pushes against the tooth and switches the indicator off.
One of the teeth may have worn out or chipped and is not being pushed back as quickly as the other side or the drum may have broken or worn out and is not rotating against the tooth, cancelling the indicator.
Works better than they do in a 33 and about a million times better than a Sud, but you may well have to remove the steering wheel to have a look see, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Brad M

Quote from: Brad M on March 17, 2015, 10:40:48 AM
This might be a bit of a basic answer, but are all the indicator globes functioning?

On other cars I've seen one side function fast when a bulb is blown.
Realised this was the wrong track... thought you meant flashing frequency.

But, our 147 had a different problem of cancelling way too quick when turning one direction. The fix was to tuck the rubber boot (that was around the indicator stalk where it connects to the steering column) back under the plastic cover.
06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067

colcol

On my 156, the rotating drum had split, so i put a second hand one in, now cancels properly, another piece of plastic crap with limited lifespan, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]