Started by suzuiq, February 12, 2015, 09:20:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suzuiq

hi all just got a 2003 147 manual in red, love it.  looking to learn moor about my car and meet other owners 
it doesn't matter how big your check book is, talent is the limiting factor.

colcol

Welcome to Forum suzuiq, good to see you have manual and not that other gearbox, so you can drive it properly.
The Alfa Romeo Owners Club have a Sunday run in about a week, where we go for a drive through some nice roads and have lunch at a resturant.
On Friday 17th April, there is a workshop Technical night where you can learn about your Alfa Romeo, for late models including 147, 156, 159, GTV, Spider and Brera, to book a place email Colin at drtool@bigpond.com.au or phone 0407 090 826, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Garibaldi

Welcome, the 147 is a great car. The important thing is to maintain it properly, some of our club sponsors can help you with that and make sure you check the oil weekly as these cars do like a drink. As Col said come along to the next drive if you can and attend the technical workshop as it will give you a lot of information about your car. :)

suzuiq

Quote from: Garibaldi on February 12, 2015, 11:27:32 PM
Welcome, the 147 is a great car. The important thing is to maintain it properly, some of our club sponsors can help you with that and make sure you check the oil weekly as these cars do like a drink. As Col said come along to the next drive if you can and attend the technical workshop as it will give you a lot of information about your car. :)

check the oil weekly!!!!  that's not liking a drink that is a full blown addiction I am interested I n the drive what date is it

suzuiq

Quote from: suzuiq on February 12, 2015, 09:20:04 PM
hi all just got a 2003 147 manual in red, love it.  looking to learn moor about my car and meet other owners

I went for my first drive in my 147 today up through the dandenongs I love my car even more now. this is the first Italian car I have owned,    I will post some photos soon

Garibaldi

Sunday Run to Warburton. Sunday 22nd February 2015.

We are pleased to advise that Malcolm Powell is holding another popular Sunday drive to Marysville and on to Warburton.   All club members and visitors most welcome.

Time:                    8.30 am for 9.00 am departure.

Where:                  Nunawading Fiat Alfa Romeo

430 Whitehorse Road Nunawading (Opposite the City of Whitehorse Council Chambers)

This will be a rewarding drive through the Black Spur with a mid morning stop for refreshments at Marysville. The drive will end up at the Warburton where we will have lunch at Oscars on the Yarra where will have a lunch.  All up this should be a 3 hour drive with lunch about midday.

More info:   http://www.oscarsontheyarra.com.au/

If you are running late we will meet you at Marysville at about 10.30 am as our drive will be via Yarra Glen and Healesville.  Members with classic or vintage cars are encouraged to attend and arrangements can be made to meet up at the lunch destination.

Lunch:

A set lunch that will be meal including main, dessert, glass of wine and tea/coffee for approx. $50.00 per head.   Other drinks at bar prices.

Bookings are essential and must be made by 17th February.

Event Coordinator and Contact:    Malcolm Powell   Tel:  9735-0328

Thevak

There is always today at Sandown! About 70 cars sprinting (about 22 ALFAS). I sprinted my 147 for a year and had a ball. Now I am running a 33 1.78v

Welcome to the forum
1970 GT Junior 1300
2002 147
1988 33 1.7EI

Neil Choi

Quote from: Garibaldi on February 13, 2015, 08:36:53 PM
This will be a rewarding drive through the Black Spur with a mid morning stop for refreshments at Marysville. The drive will end up at the Warburton where we will have lunch at Oscars on the Yarra where will have a lunch. All up this should be a 3 hour drive with lunch about midday.

Great, enjoy the drive and the 3 hr view.

suzuiq

Quote from: Neil Choi on February 14, 2015, 07:10:39 PM
This will be a rewarding drive through the Black Spur with a mid morning stop for refreshments at Marysville. The drive will end up at the Warburton where we will have lunch at Oscars on the Yarra where will have a lunch. All up this should be a 3 hour drive with lunch about midday.

well hear it is my 147, an't it cute

Garibaldi

Short of driving on a race track for 3 hours Neil where do you suggest we go for a Camry free drive? ::)

Garibaldi

Quote from: suzuiq on February 14, 2015, 07:17:08 PM

I like your 147, now are you going on the drive so we can talk about 147's as generally mine is the only one there. ???

colcol

And when the 147 came out in 2,000, it won European Car Of The Year, take that Mondeo and Prios.
The 147 had the sticker on the back window, to say so!
It had a lot of safety features such as stability control emergency braking 4 airbags and curtains and an unusual item for an Alfa Romeo....drink holders, hear all the 156 and 166 owners weeping.
As Garibaldi pointed out, check the oil every week and the oil to use is 10-40 fully synthetic, if it has covered a large amount of kilometres and starts to use oil, try using 10-60 fully synthetic, which is what they did on the 156 JTS to get the oil consumption under control.
The timing belts have to be done every 3 years or 50,000 klms with harsh driving conditions or 60,000 klms under ideal conditions.
If you have no record of the belts being changed, assume they haven't and have them done, they are an interference type motor and when the belts fail, the valves hit the pistons and ruin the engine, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Garibaldi

The timing belts have to be done every 3 years or 50,000 klms with harsh driving conditions or 60,000 klms under ideal conditions.
If you have no record of the belts being changed, assume they haven't and have them done, they are an interference type motor and when the belts fail, the valves hit the pistons and ruin the engine, Colin.

Not only will it ruin the engine, it will also ruin your whole day and have a dramatic effect on your wallet. Be warned!!! >:( :( :'(

suzuiq

Quote from: colcol on February 14, 2015, 10:09:35 PM
And when the 147 came out in 2,000, it won European Car Of The Year, take that Mondeo and Prios.
The 147 had the sticker on the back window, to say so!
It had a lot of safety features such as stability control emergency braking 4 airbags and curtains and an unusual item for an Alfa Romeo....drink holders, hear all the 156 and 166 owners weeping.
As Garibaldi pointed out, check the oil every week and the oil to use is 10-40 fully synthetic, if it has covered a large amount of kilometres and starts to use oil, try using 10-60 fully synthetic, which is what they did on the 156 JTS to get the oil consumption under control.

made sure it had full service history and yes all belts and idlers and balancers have been done   as for oil the owners manual recommends 5w 40. my favourite feature is the traction control

suzuiq

Quote from: Garibaldi on February 14, 2015, 07:50:28 PM
Quote from: suzuiq on February 14, 2015, 07:17:08 PM

I like your 147, now are you going on the drive so we can talk about 147's as generally mine is the only one there. ???

ok I will try and make it pencil me in  ;D