Front Spoiler

Started by brook308, May 26, 2014, 09:01:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brook308

After destroying my front spoiler at the last Noosa Hill climb I thought i'd attempt to make up a fibreglass one.
Been fairly slow getting to this stage but I have to get going as Noosa calls again in July!

I've taken a stock spoiler, infilled the grill and extended the leading edge by 100mm.

brook308

Some mockup shots to give an idea of the end product.

jazig.k

Are you going to cut out any air flow areas?
How did you fill and extend the bumper? Fibreglass?

It reminds me a little of that bizarre Japanese bouzouki style of cars.

brook308

Quote from: jazig.k on May 30, 2014, 07:49:49 PM
Are you going to cut out any air flow areas?
How did you fill and extend the bumper? Fibreglass?

It reminds me a little of that bizarre Japanese bouzouki style of cars.

Air flow will be cut out as needed. Gaps in spoiler near indicators are likely to be either inlets for brakes or faux indicators/orange Perspex.
The shape is just to make up the mould, so it's made of ply, mdf, fibreglass, plaster, bog, whatever I could get my hands on really.

Tried to google bouzouki style of car and got nowhere, so not quite sure what bouzouki style is.

MD

brook308

Pat on the back for having a go at making one of these suckers. I have had a few goes at coming up with a functional front spoiler that creates some down force on the track. If and when it does do so, it needs to be structurally well fitted to become part of the car, The snag has always been that with a lowered car and an increased length over the front axle, it creates dramas loading the car on the trailer with it bottoming out.

The answer to that is a removable spoiler but I have yet to see a design that is not just a decoration but does what it is meant to and satisfies the car's design lines. Not an easy task.

Good luck with your project. Looking forward to seeing the final fit.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

jazig.k

Ah bosozoku I mean. On the iPad so images are a pain in the ass to link or post. Think of it as over the top cartoon style cars... Just google it lol, no idea how anyone would describe it...

brook308

Quote from: MD on May 31, 2014, 05:29:43 PM
brook308

Pat on the back for having a go at making one of these suckers. I have had a few goes at coming up with a functional front spoiler that creates some down force on the track. If and when it does do so, it needs to be structurally well fitted to become part of the car, The snag has always been that with a lowered car and an increased length over the front axle, it creates dramas loading the car on the trailer with it bottoming out.

The answer to that is a removable spoiler but I have yet to see a design that is not just a decoration but does what it is meant to and satisfies the car's design lines. Not an easy task.

Good luck with your project. Looking forward to seeing the final fit.

Yes, making the mould is probably the easy part.
My thoughts were to use the series 2 116 front bar chassis points at two of the mount points, I haven't figured out mount points for the guards yet.
I can't paint my car (where it was damaged) until I work this out.
I could barely get the car on the trailer with the stock wing so this one will be removable.

brook308

Quote from: jazig.k on May 31, 2014, 09:21:55 PM
Ah bosozoku I mean. On the iPad so images are a pain in the ass to link or post. Think of it as over the top cartoon style cars... Just google it lol, no idea how anyone would describe it...

Ahh now I get it, I think you may have thought the table the spoiler is sitting on is part of the spoiler.

I showed my 14 yo son the bosozoku pics on google and he loved it!

Japanese fashion and style is like no other.

jazig.k

No, I didn't think of the table as the spoiler, just how you extended the lip reminded me of how the Bosozoku car extend the lips 1 meter...
They really are like cars ripped straight out of Anime...

brook308

More progress, plug in 2pac.
Plan on making the mould over the weekend.

17fitty

Looking great --if you need some beeswax release agent let me know.i still reckon you should incorporate the table--at least for entrees

brook308

Quote from: 17fitty on June 06, 2014, 09:56:22 PM
Looking great --if you need some beeswax release agent let me know.i still reckon you should incorporate the table--at least for entrees

Why thanks 17fitty,
Tooling gel applied, wazza orange!

brook308

Well I can't say it was easy but we finally got the plug out of the mould.
I'll need to touch up the mould in a few places.

I used wax only between the plug and mould, next time it'll be a coat of PVA.

jazig.k

Looks great so far. You're first mould attempt?

brook308

Quote from: jazig.k on June 08, 2014, 08:28:26 PM
Looks great so far. You're first mould attempt?

1st attempt, should have probably tried something smaller to begin with but I needed a spoiler and figured I'd break it again at some stage.

Got to say working with fibreglass is not that much fun, I'd hate to be doing this for a living!

Was hoping to get a spoiler made this weekend but the mould tidy up will set me back a week or so.