Warning for Alfa buyers

Started by Overalfa, January 31, 2014, 04:50:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Overalfa

Hi,
I have had an Alfa 159 JTDM for 2 years now (2007 model 70,000kms diesel).

I am sad to say its costing a fortune in parts and lots of time running to the service centre for little things that's cost lots.  80 percent of the issues are to do with the DPF , these things cost 3 k in oz but u can get from uk for 1k.

After 2 years I'm very sorry I chose an Alfa, the comfort and great drive from it is not worth the hassles it has.

As you do I've spoken to many Alfa owners and they all seem to have the same issues, I wish there had been this information avaliable 2!years ago when I was doing the research prior to purchase, I would not have purchased it.

If you are considering buying an Alfa I would recommend against it unless you like spending money and lots of time on a car that limps more than it drives correctly.

Craig_m67

It's true that customer service for Alfa Romeo in Australia has been very poor over the last decade or so. Hopefully this will change now that FIAT are running the show direct as opposed to ATECO.

That said, EGR and DPF issues are a well know issue for ALL recent cars using Diesel engines.  They've   been documented and discussed in public Alfa forums for at least 8years (since the '05 156 2.4JTD personal memory). Feel free to google the subject for any brand... It's an issue for them all and is exacerbated by a lack of local experience and understanding of the technology in diesels engines these days.

It sounds like you have been mucked around by a useless mechanic or dealer service. Unless you are proactive in understanding the issue, even at a high level, you will get ripped by VAG in the same way when you replace the car with something from their stable or Holden or indeed anybody with a Diesel engine in their line up.  It's worth remembering that FIAT brought common rail diesel tech to the world first in the '03 Alfa 156, they then sold it to Bosch who now sell it to everybody else (VAG).

You don't say what has cost you $3k to fix.. What's the actual problem? Software deletes for the EGR and DPF are available (ex UK) if you're not bothered about the environment. 

We'd love to help if we can. More than likely your issue has been resolved somewhere already by somebody else as passionate about the car us is. Let's pass on solutions not problems
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

Mick A

Quote from: Overalfa on January 31, 2014, 04:50:57 PM
If you are considering buying an Alfa I would recommend against it unless you like spending money and lots of time on a car that limps more than it drives correctly.

Yeah, sure mate. You're posting that in the right place, I'm sure all the Alfa Enthusiasts that read this will put their cars straight up on to carsales now. Lucky we had you to warn us. Thanks for that.

extraball

Quote from: Choderboy on January 31, 2014, 07:47:47 PM

Yeah, sure mate. You're posting that in the right place, I'm sure all the Alfa Enthusiasts that read this will put their cars straight up on to carsales now. Lucky we had you to warn us. Thanks for that.

fair reply that. Plus this seems to be a rant about diesel issues? so let's poo poo on petrol engine alfas, because they are alfas, and guilty by association   ???

wankski

After 2 years I'm very sorry I chose an Alfa, the comfort and great drive from it is not worth the hassles it has.

ok... goodbye?

(or on some real shit, if you actually did some research you would know that modern diesels have DPFs, not just alfas, (it is in fact a global engine, esp the 1.9l, used in many makes!) and they're not made to labour around town on short trips as they can't regen)

Cool Jesus

Quote from: wankski on February 01, 2014, 12:14:22 AM

ok... goodbye?

(or on some real shit, if you actually did some research you would know that modern diesels have DPFs, not just alfas, (it is in fact a global engine, esp the 1.9l, used in many makes!) and they're not made to labour around town on short trips as they can't regen)

BWAH hah, your harsh wanski  ::)

But it's true, any diesel car will have these issues with the poor quality diesel we have here. I've seen a filters black and blocked to buggery on other makes (4x4s) after only 5K kms. Sorry to hear your experiences mate.

I still scratch my head at why one would go diesel with Alfa? I test drove a few diesel 159s and was surprised at the performance, but couldn't get past at the the idle not it had, may as well have been a truck. If it's an Alfa, for me it must be petrol  8)
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

lombardi

Have a friend that owns a nissan diesel, yes NISSAN and has spent an absolute fortune on fixing diesel related issues, his train of thought is that he will not go near that brand again, at least with alfa ,when it does work,it drives very well, am sure can not say the same about nishit. My dad owns a mazda, not much better and parts cost a bomb. Thought it was a classic,this guy winging about our brand, what's that saying, BARKING UP A WRONG TREE, something like that anyway. auguri.
forza lazio,viva l'alfa

Current Alfa=

Giulietta 2015 QV manual Ghiaccio

1974 Spider series 2 ,carabinieri blu

Previous Alfas=

33x4 1985 wagon
33 ti 1985
156 sportswagon manual red
Alfetta sportiva 1981 red
166 silver 1999

LaStregaNera

Mate of mine is going through this with a Subaru diesel. It's just a factor of life with modern diesels. As mentioned, a dpf delete and a chip/flash to suit fixes the issue, and handily liberates a few hp...
66 GT Veloce
Bimota SB6

Nate Dog

Also thought its a bit rich coming to an Alfa enthusiasts forum and lambasting the car we all clearly already have. Not so much a public service/warning, although I'm sure(hoping) it was meant in good spirits, but this is rather a critique of all our collective choice in cars.

As to your diesel issues, yep, this happens to all diesels, like any car/motor, you need to know what you're doing with them to keep them running well.

Previous car was a mazda 6 diesel. Fantastic car (well, boring as dog $h!t but i digress)
Sold it to a chap from Adelaide who flew to sydney, i gave him every warning under the sun as to how to drive it, not to drone in 6th gear at 1200 rpm for long stretches, as you'll simply clog up the works....
Suffice it to say, 2000km drive to adelaide, phone call, mate, ever had any issues with the DPF? Dumb sob.

poohbah

Only one thing to say. I'm OverOverAlfa
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

aggie57

Quote from: poohbah on February 02, 2014, 08:16:27 PM

Looks like he's over us as well. No more posts.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

Nate Dog

Quote from: aggie57 on February 02, 2014, 09:51:10 PM
Quote from: poohbah on February 02, 2014, 08:16:27 PM

Looks like he's over us as well. No more posts.

Do you think it was something we said?
We were being as accommodating as the situation deserved.
I feel we gave the situation all the sympathy it deserved.

Lastly, i'll just say the dumb son of a bitch never once posted that he had an issue and asked for advice, he would've been able to sort his diesel issues out just based on the few replies on this thread alone, and never had to spend a dime.
Oh well, he doesn't deserve an alfa.

aggie57

Nah - reckon he had his spray and moved on.  Oh well :)
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

extraball

AikenDrum105

Was a bit of an oblique parting shot wasn't it...       Like when you hit your thumb with a hammer and throw it through the window in frustration.   The window didn't do anything to deserve that !   ;P
Scott
'66 Giulia Super 105.28.720988 TS+MS3+ITB+COP
'65 Giulia Sprint GT 105.04.753710
'04 156 JTS Sportwagon

Earlier follies...
'66 Duetto 105.05.710057
'85 GTV6
'71 1750 GTV