Alfetta Overheating

Started by joestram, January 09, 2014, 09:45:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joestram

Cool. Thanks for that Colin.

Hopefully that's the end of my overheating issue then.

Joe
00 156 V6 Monza
11 Mito Sport - Gone
79 Alfetta GTV - Gone
76 Alfetta GT - Gone

Nate Dog

Good work Joe.

Heres hoping no head gasket issues

Mick A

Joe, if you still have an issue, take your car to a mechanic mate!

joestram

Hey guys - just a quick update - took the car out again and it's doing it again!

Looks like the can isn't kicking in. I ended up taping the two cables from the temperature sender together to get home, but the car was still very hot.

Where can I get a new temperature sender from locally? Is it a big job to do?

Thanks

Joe
00 156 V6 Monza
11 Mito Sport - Gone
79 Alfetta GTV - Gone
76 Alfetta GT - Gone

Alfapride

Hi all my gtv just started doing the same thing fan isn't kicking in at lights but when driving it cools down

Thermostat is new

New coolant

I have a ignition barrel issue at thelmentcmy guess is maybe not enough current going through all electrical system and may prevent fan kicking in when required

Joe check your thermostat first for safe measure thermostat fan switch I'm sure milano spares or Turin imports could source one
Alfa 33 16v
Alfa 116 Giulietta
Alfa 116 Alfetta GTV
Alfa MY2004 147 TI
Alfa MY19 Giulia Veloce

Mick A

Yes the problem is most likely the thermo switch on the radiator.

Monza Motors will definitely have a thermo switch.

9720 4442

joestram

Thanks guys.

Are we all talking about the same thing here? Is the thermoswitch on the bottom left of the radiator if your looking at it from the drivers seat( not that you can actually see it from there but in that same direction)?

Is it a job I can do in my driveway or does it require special mechanical skills?

Thanks all

Joe
00 156 V6 Monza
11 Mito Sport - Gone
79 Alfetta GTV - Gone
76 Alfetta GT - Gone

Nate Dog

Yes, left hand side, 1/3 up of rad, 2 wires plugged into it.

yes, can easily be done by home mechanic, just do it properly, high pressure coolant, etc, so you'll need to ensure a tight seal. Should be a how to guide on youtube, just search for:
How to change thermostat RADIATOR.

AikenDrum105

These might not be the particular radiators Joe had in mind, Nate....   :o

Scott
'66 Giulia Super 105.28.720988 TS+MS3+ITB+COP
'65 Giulia Sprint GT 105.04.753710
'04 156 JTS Sportwagon

Earlier follies...
'66 Duetto 105.05.710057
'85 GTV6
'71 1750 GTV

AikenDrum105

This one might help a little ?

Scott
'66 Giulia Super 105.28.720988 TS+MS3+ITB+COP
'65 Giulia Sprint GT 105.04.753710
'04 156 JTS Sportwagon

Earlier follies...
'66 Duetto 105.05.710057
'85 GTV6
'71 1750 GTV

Nate Dog

Alright you buggers :)

Dump the coolant out of your coolant system, uncouple the lowest most hose, this will lead to copious amounts of (hopefully!!!) green fluid making a royal mess all over your garage floor, if you haven't put a container down to catch it, when the rad is empty, disconnect, the thermostat, its on the radiator, left hand side, take an appropriate sized tool (not a hammer, well, not at first) unscrew the old thermostat, clean the hole its going into, don't damage  the threads but clean them, take your new thermostat, ensure its clean, wrap the thread with plumbers tape, a few layers, you'll want a good (very good) seal on it, screw it back in place. reconnect the new thermostat, fill up radiator with coolant (good as time as any to have done a flush), run the engine, should cycle water through the system, top up till full, watch temp rise, make sure thermostate trips at appropriate temp.

Capiche?

Neil Choi

The thermostat is the thing that is on the intake manifold near the top of the motor, right?

The thermofan switch is the thing that is on the lower left side of the radiator, right?

Alfapride

Alfa 33 16v
Alfa 116 Giulietta
Alfa 116 Alfetta GTV
Alfa MY2004 147 TI
Alfa MY19 Giulia Veloce

Nate Dog

Quote from: Neil Choi on February 21, 2014, 06:40:26 PM
The thermostat is the thing that is on the intake manifold near the top of the motor, right?

The thermofan switch is the thing that is on the lower left side of the radiator, right?

Yep,
Mentioned that in first post :) didn't want to have to write it out 4 times :)
But yes, thats correct.

Neil Choi

Not being pedantic, but I was correcting your error in your description of fitment.

You mentioned the thermostat on the radiator!!!  Which isn't.  That is the switch.

It does cause confusion when one uses the incorrect description and the OP and others will wonder.