reco heads

Started by ARQ164 Shane, January 06, 2014, 07:03:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colcol

You could correct the valve clearances by changing the shims, getting them correct, assembling it all and doing a compression test and if it comes up good, you might get a smooth idle with the valves closing properly and getting full compression to the motor.
I had a head reconditioned on an old Volksy a few years ago, the firm that did it told me that the shims were not correct, as they didn't have any shims or the special tools to change them, which i did, so i changed the shims, as i had a collection and the special tools to change them and a thousand kays later when the valves settled in, i had to change the shims again, if you have an older engine, always ask if the shims are correct, as that will be an extra charge.
All the modern engines for the last 30 years have hydraulic lifters, which set the clearances with oil pressure, so its install it, and off you go, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Mick A

$850 is a good price for head work.
Did you specifically ask them to reset the clearances for you?
If you didn't, I'd say they aren't at fault here.

Mat Francis

Just for reference, 850 is pretty close to what I paid a reputable shop for standard work done to one head, not two. It then took me near enough to 10 hours labour to reset clearances correctly. (I didnt have spare shims, I had to machine my existing ones). It can be a really fiddly and time consuming job, I dont think you can expect that sort of labour to be included for $850.

Having said that, if the rest of the motor is still good, I think you'd be making yourself a whole lot more work trying to do an engine swap if clearances are the only issue. It can seem like a never ending uphill battle, but youve come this far, why let it beat you now!?
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

AikenDrum105

Scott
'66 Giulia Super 105.28.720988 TS+MS3+ITB+COP
'65 Giulia Sprint GT 105.04.753710
'04 156 JTS Sportwagon

Earlier follies...
'66 Duetto 105.05.710057
'85 GTV6
'71 1750 GTV

ARQ164 Shane

AikenDrum105: My wife is the boss, I have no illusions about that mate.

Choderboy; I have compression on all cylinders but it very low, some are 500 kpa some and are 800 kpa.

Mat Francis: yes the price was ok. The point I was making was that nothing was said about the shim's
at the time. Now I have to pull it apart and again. Live and learn I guess.

And the gaskits that I got from the UK that I put on are now shot.... oh well.
Hi Neighbour,
1973 L beetle "Tilly" sold
87 QV 75 ALFA 2.5lt sold
92 auto 164 3lt RIP
91 white 164 Q
89 164 Q part car

colcol

Put some new gaskets in, then put the cylinder heads back on and do the clearances on the valves, do a compression test and see what it is like, don't know much about the shims on the motor, but on the Suds and 33's, you can change them without removing the camshafts.
If you cannot obtain  shims, have them ground down on a surface grinder, but don't take more than about 0,1mm per side as you will break through the hardened case, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Mick A

Quote from: colcol on August 13, 2014, 05:46:22 PM
Put some new gaskets in, then put the cylinder heads back on and do the clearances on the valves, do a compression test and see what it is like, don't know much about the shims on the motor, but on the Suds and 33's, you can change them without removing the camshafts.
If you cannot obtain  shims, have them ground down on a surface grinder, but don't take more than about 0,1mm per side as you will break through the hardened case, Colin.

Colin, seriously mate, if you don't know, why say anything? It doesn't help his situation 
We aren't talking about a 33 here.

Cam shafts need to be removed to swap shims.

Why take the heads off?  Wind the crank a quarter of a turn so the pistons are all out of reach of the valves.

Cheers.

colcol

Alfie75 has stated that the gaskets that he got from the UK are now shot, if the head gaskets are stuffed then they will leak and you won't be able to form enough compression, so you have to bite the bullet and put some new ones on, unless you are talking about cam cover gaskets?, which won't cause a rough idle, but allow the oil to leak out.
But you need to set the valve clearances as the valves may not be closing and you will not be getting enough compression, Colin.

Mick A

Forget the head gaskets, I wasn't talking about the head gaskets.

I was talking about setting clearances.

He has said the gaskets are "shot". I took that as he thinks they are wasted because he has to remove them. How can anyone know they are fucked if they are still on the motor with heads torqued down?

It doesn't matter, it's all speculation! We would need Alphie75 to clarify exactly what he means.

I'm saying, if clearances are out, and valves aren't closing, of course theres no compression. It's probably not the head gaskets, and since it can be shimmed with the heads on the car as I mentioned earlier, no need to pull the heads off. It seems ridiculous to me to remove the heads and take them back  to pay a machine shop hours and hours of labour to set clearances.

I'm signing off on this discussion! I'm over it!

Alphie75, if you want any more advice, PM me!

Seeya!